Return to the Forum

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Return to the Forum

Postby Norman Sanders » Wed May 04, 2022 12:15 am

Greetings from Texas. A couple of hours ago I re-acquired Hull 35, which I had bought in Florida in 2013, transported to Texas, and sold in 2014 due to a full-time commitment to looking after aging parents. The man to whom I sold the boat recently contacted me to honor my request for "right of first refusal" when he decided to let the boat go. I accepted the offer, and the South African-built Hull 35 is now in my driveway awaiting my attention.

We spent four hours this afternoon stepping the mast, setting up the rigging, and doing a provisional hoisting of the sails. While it looks somewhat like a sailboat on a trailer, I think there were many aspects of the rigging that are not right. In addition to which all running lines - halyards and sheets - are the same color, and probably at least ten years old. I'm going to start by replacing all of those, but my intention is to get the boat rigged perfectly. Unfortunately my knowledge of boat rigging, and gaff-rigs in particular, is inadequate to the task.

I don't want to exhaust the patience of those of you whose boats are already tweaked up - I know there are posts and articles and pictures - I also have the original CC19 manual in both hard copy and electronic form - but if it is acceptable, I would like to be able to work my way through a series of questions, beginning with the easy ones.

My first two questions pertain to:

1. The staysail. I would expect the tack of the staysail to have a shackle of some sort to attach to the shackle that is mounted on deck. The deck-mount shackle has a small block/pulley attached to it, and the previous owner connected the tack of the staysail to the block/pulley with a small cord, maybe 4-5mm diameter. This requires retying at the attachment point every time the staysail is attached. It would seem more normal to have a quicker attachment arrangement. I'm going to try to attach photos to show how it is currently set up. If you can point me to pictures of the right way of doing it, I'll be appreciative.

2. The bowsprit. On each side of the bowsprit, the two metal cables (bobstays?) have shackles on them that are attached to equivalent shackles on the forward end of the bowsprit. As you can see in the pictures, this is "snugged up" with some small diameter line (in poor condition) that is wound several times between the two shackles and then tied off. This seems somewhat insecure, and prone to slippage. What is the right way of making the connection for that pair of stays.

Pictures attached. If all this is covered somewhere in detail, I haven't yet found it. Tell me where to look and I'll do the homework...

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and hopefully forbearance. I don't think this boat is rigged right, and I'm somewhat daunted by the prospect of getting it all sorted out.

(Pictures too large to attach - email me at norman.sanders@gmail.com if you would agree to my sending them to you...)
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Re: Return to the Forum

Postby bellalistair » Tue May 10, 2022 9:19 pm

Hi Norman,

In answer to your two queries... In reverse order:

Bobstays, sounds about right actually. There was another thread on this recently, shackle at the forward end and lashing to the boat, though variants are many and various.
http://www.capecutter19association.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=949#p5911

I'm not sure of anyone using a block at the tack of the staysail, ours is indeed just secured with a small shackle.

Hope that isn't too late to be of assistance! I realise today that my forum monitoring had logged out!

Cheers,

Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Re: Return to the Forum

Postby Norman Sanders » Mon May 16, 2022 3:49 pm

Thank you, Alistair. I'm going to have to figure out a way of getting pix small enough to attach. If you can direct me to a place that illustrates all the peculiarities of rigging the boat up, I'll surely be grateful.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat