Class Rules

For those of us who wish to be a little bit more competitive with our boats.......

Postby GRIMSHAW » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Congratulations to all who took part in the Round the Island. It was a magnificent performance by the CC19s. I note that SBII flew a spinnaker yet was off the same rating (.822) as the other CC19s. As there are no formal sail measurements for CC19s this probably passes muster but if CC19s do start to compete seriously in Open Events perhaps this is an item that the Association needs to look at when it starts functioning on a more formal basis.
I personally don't want to go down the route of strict certification and sail measuring but then I'm no longer a serious racer. What do members think?
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi all,

it's a good question. My take on the race is that SBII didn't have a advantage over us using the spinnaker - downwind the poled out genoa is huge! Tony (my crew) and I were pretty sure that when we were dead upwind of SBII on that long leg our boat speed was pretty much identical - his big gains we felt were from better tidal management.

Remember, at the Needles we were about 100/150 yards ahead - at Bembridge, we were 500 yards behind - not a great difference after, what, 20 miles?! He overtook while almost kissing the cliffs just after the needles, while we were more offshore.

However, had it have been a broader reach would the spinnaker have made a bigger difference? who knows.

Cheers,

David

PS for the avoidance of doubt, as these internet debates can sometimes be misconstrued, neither Tony nor I felt we lost/had a disadvantage because of the kite. Better tide and last leg management won it for them.
David Hill
Non Association Member

Class Rules

Postby Simon Head » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Hello Everyone

Im not an officiardo but I do think that there should be class rules for racing. For the Cape Cutter 19 which is not a development class such as the National 12 these are mainly which sails can be flown in a race. This should be ratified by members but should be those offered by the manufacturer (and from Nick who commissioned the CC19) such as the Genoa, Yankee, Staysail and Main Sail. There should be standard dimensions for these. I think that this is all that needs to be done- along with standard overall dimensions of the boat including bowsprit. The reason it should be just these sails is that all the sail handling on the standard boat caters for these sails to be flown and are accessible from hull 1.

The purpose of rules is to provide racing on equal terms.:)

I have to say these are my opinions and are from my experiences in club racing

Regards

Simon Head
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hill » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Simon,

if SBII was on this board maybe he could confirm, but I got the impression he was using the genoa halyard to hoist the kite, and a simple pole out to keep control. I didn't notice/see any special rigging for it, but I could be wrong. With low loads I imagine this system works well enough, so it wouldn't be too hard to retro fit kites to all capecutters.

My pole for the genoa is basically the longest spinnaker pole I could find for a dinghy class! I hadn't got around to putting a ring on the mast, so t was merely clipped to the main halyard on starboard, the genoa halyard on port - not ideal but worked OK in the wind strengths we had.

While talking of sails, another interesting aspect was using the jib with the genoa. We didn't, while SB11 did. We did try for a few miles during the first leg, but we felt there was no increase in boat speed, and slightly more hassle on tacking so we quickly dropped it. SBII also decided to drop the jib for the last few miles before the finish (as I said, we were so close together after 11 hours racing it was ridiculous!), so I guess they decided it wasn't helping.

I'd be interested to hear other people's view on whether they work well together.

Cheers!

David
David Hill
Non Association Member

Class Rules

Postby David Peck » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:46 pm

With regard to standardising the sail sizes, I have a copy of the official drawing from Dudley Dix that gives all the dimensions for the mast, boom and gaff (no bowsprit though) plus the the mainsail, genoa and staysail sizes. There is no "yankee" sail however, presumably because it was devised later by Nick.

I asked Dudley Dix for permission to publish it on our website but todate he has not replied. Obviously there could be copyright implications he does not want to get involved in. He incidentley believes we have gone out of class because the masts built by Honnor Marine are solid and approx twice the weight of the hollow (Birdmouth Construction) masts built to his design in South Africa. That was the reason for him sending me the drawing in the first place - I find the current masts too heavy!

Simon is quite right, for the future, if racing is to be taken seriously by the class, then rules will need to be established. Also there are questions regarding whether the engine is stowed or kept in place duing racing and if we ever have challenge meetings say or events with other boats such as Shrimpers, Memorys etc, they will want to know we have a stable handicap rating.

I notice that the Shrimper fleet had two different handicap ratings! Does anybody know what the differences were for? Was it spinnakers? I believe there is no difference between inboard and outboard motor ratings.

PS Does anybody know what the Portsmouth Yardstick rating is for a Shrimper and has anybody ever been given one for a CC19?

Regards

David Peck
CC19 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Racing Rules

Postby Simon Head » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:20 am

Hi David

You are quite right with regards to the mast and the Yankee. :)

This is one of the reason why rules are needed. However in the case of the mast its length and material I would have thought is the only thing required to define. Sea Badger would have had a heavier mast.

I had issues with the SA mast with regards to its construction i.e it split along its length, as I detailed elsewhere in the technical section.

However it was lighter!

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Return to Racing