Towing and weigh distribution/rudder weight

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Electrical Winch

Postby ianrmaciver » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks Dennis.

Last week ,hauling out for the first time , I had a chance to use my electric winch.
It's a Warrior C4500 , mounted on the 50mm tow hitch and powered by the car's battery (engine running whilst hauling out). Nominally rated at 4500lbs , this reduces to less than 3000lbs on the third layer of the cable on the drum. The cable is 14 metres long.
The slipway , at Wells next the Sea , is moderately step with a good concrete surface. Parking the car , a BMW 318d , on the level , meant the trailer was c. 30 metres from the trailer , on recovery. Using the cable , strops , and 10mm nylon the trailer was comfortably hauled up the slip in a couple of stages . Chocks and the trailer brakes allowed the change from rope to cable.
On reflection , a straightforward procedure , keeping the car well away from the water.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Re:

Postby Greybeard » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Dennis wrote: The first weight (77 Kg) is with everything in normal position but the mast stowed for towing and the boom, gaff and bowsprit inside the cabin.

I came across this comment whilst cruising the forum t'other day (it's been the only cruising I've been able to do for months!). The SA gaff must be a little longer than the HM one - I've been packing Falcon in readiness for her antipodean adventure and found that the gaff is about 3 inches too long to fit in the cabin. The boom fits in easily. As I wanted to get everything I could inside the boat barring the mast I tackled the issue by unbolting the gaff jaws ;) After I'd done that I did wonder whether the gaff would have slipped inside via the forehatch.
Nose weight with everything stowed in the cabin more or less over the axle, including the rudder comes out around 65-70kg which is about what it was when the gear was stowed 'normally' with the rudder on its pintles. Towing with the van meant that I carried the Honda 5hp on a bracket in that. Now that the van's gone (thank goodness - no-one should have to own a VW/Audi group vehicle for long) I'll be towing it down to a nearby weighbridge later this week to see if the estate car will be OK to drag her down to Southampton - I've got a limit of 1600kg to play with which Bob at HM thinks will be fine (no engine, just basic sailing gear)

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Re: Towing and weigh distribution/rudder weight

Postby Donald » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:59 pm

I have found that the gaff fits in through the fore hatch but it's so tight you have to remove the rear bunk cushion for it to scrape in.

Donald
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 pm

I thought that might be the case. Thanks, Donald

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Just by way of an update, I took Falcon to the weighbridge today. With basic sailing gear and no engine/water/victals etc she still weighed in at 1780kg - disappointingly close to the maximum load of the HM trailer. I wonder how many CC19 owners are trailing their boats around whilst overloaded :confused: Annoyingly the total weight of the car/trailer is such that there was still about 350kg to play with before the gross train weight was reached. The maximum recommended trailer weight for the car is 1600kg so the only way I could tow her without any legal risk is to transfer 180kg of gear to the car.
Might be easier to hire another tug for the day. :mad:

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Hello Steve

I am convinced that boat manufacturers have a different set of scales to everyone else. :confused:

1780 Kg is not out of the ordinary, do a search on "weighbridge" and you will see what I mean. :(
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Perhaps they were trained in the same 'Academy of Accuracy' as the Volkswagen/Audi staff, eh? :mad:
I've now been offered the use of a friend's XTrail to get her down to Southampton, which nicely avoids the issues of legality altogether. :)

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Trailers and Towing