Wiring channel SA mast

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Wiring channel SA mast

Postby Martha Pekelharing » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi all,
We wish to install a mast head light and VHF aerial for our CC19 Hawkins, SA built no 4. I understand there is a wiring channel in the mast that we can use for the cables.
- Any tips for pulling the cables through the mast?
- I read in other posts about drilling into the mast to pull the cables out of the mast base, is it correct that this is not needed in the SA built masts? I can see a small hole at the base of our mast, but we haven't figured out if it goes all the way up.
- Which location is best to place the deck sockets and which types have you used?
Attached the mast construction drawing and two pictures of our mast.
I found a picture on this forum from Ladybird deck penetrations (also attached), is that where others also have the deck sockets?
thanks in advance for your advice!
Judith (+ Lennert and Martha) - Hawkins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martha Pekelharing
CC19 Association Member

Re: Wiring channel SA mast

Postby erbster » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am

My Honnor mast had a string inside the mast, so I was able to pull the electrical cable through (along with another string in case needed).

If your mast has no string installed, then leading something through is tricky. I know devices are available made of fibreglass are available but they are unlikely to be long enough. Perhaps gravity might bring a weighted fishing line through, which could be used to drag a thicker line through?

I ran the cables (light and vhf) out of the bottom of the mast (I cut 1cm off the mast foot, to leave a gap between mast and deck for the cables) and they plug into sockets on deck.

If I was doing it again, I would bring the cables on deck through glands (less likely to leak IMO) and fit the sockets to the mast foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Martha Pekelharing » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi Charles,
Thanks for your reply. Very helpful to read others experiences. Unfortunately we did not find the expected channel under the mast top and the hole at the bottom of the mast is blind after 10cm. Maybe the mast construction drawing is from a later version of the cape cutter and our mast doesn't have the wiring channel after all..
thanks anyway!
Martha Pekelharing
CC19 Association Member

Postby Martha Pekelharing » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Here some more info:

We took off the "cap" (both the wooden and the metal part, as there was no hole in the metal part) from the top of the mast and discovered a whole there as well in the middle of the mast. However, both holes do not seem to extend all the way to the "hollow part" of the mast.

The hole at the top that stops after about 4cm:
mast top (under hat).jpg

The hole at the bottom stops after about 10cm:
mast bottom.jpg

That is different from the design as we found it:
CC19_MastDimension.pdf

Does anyone have any experience with this situation, or any suggestions on how to reach the wire channel within the mast?

Thank you all in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martha Pekelharing
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:53 pm

I’m afraid I’ve no knowledge of this situation. I’m surprised there isn’t a hole, as the whole point is that the mast is hollow as a weight-saving measure (and it certainly makes a difference in that respect!). Is it possible the hole has been bunged up with something by a previous owner?

Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Martha Pekelharing » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:35 pm

So we got some more information by e-mailing Dudley Dix himself, he states:

"That drawing that you sent must be one made by the UK builder, Honnor Marine, it is not my drawing. The South African masts did not have a hole for wiring. The holes that you see will have been for centre points for the large lathe that made the mast round from the octagonal shape that results from birdsmouth construction. I recommend that you run your wiring up the shrouds."

That is with regard to this drawing:

CC19_MastDimension.pdf

Interesting, because we always thought this is te drawing of the SA birdsmouth mast. Anyone sure about that?

Also interesting, because the SA hull built directly after ours did have a light on top of the mast. Unfortunately the owner does not remember how the wire went up (his mast broke in 2011, he replaced it with a Honnor mast).

Anyone experience with running the wires up the shrouds or any other solutions?

Best wishes!
Martha Pekelharing
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Actually, I think that is the drawing for the Honnor mast.

How badly do you want a mast head light/antenna? I have a mast head light but use it very rarely. I have been underway at night once, and I have a riding light with a light sensor that I use when at anchor (hauled up by the peak halyard) - that uses a lot less energy than my mast head light on all night.

Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Martha Pekelharing » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:56 pm

Thank you Charles, for thinking along with us!
Martha Pekelharing
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:19 pm

[quote="Martha Pekelharing"

Interesting, because we always thought this is te drawing of the SA birdsmouth mast. Anyone sure about that?
[/quote]

I have copy of the same drawing. It was given to me by the late Bob Brown then owner of Honnor Marine.

He told me that it was the drawing of the SA mast that he was provided with when he bought moulds and the rights to build in the UK.

I suspect that sometime during the SA build period the mast design was modified from Dudley Dix's original.

Your boat is one of the very early examples and will almost certainly have been built exactly to the original plans.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Martha Pekelharing » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Hi Dennis, yes, that seems to be the case indeed! Thank you for the confirmation!
Martha Pekelharing
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical