Ropes

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Ropes

Postby Lee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:52 am

Hi All

I am currently replacing worn bits on KIRA and would appreciate some advice as i go along.
firstly i am replacing some rope, the Jib furling drum has some tiny worn out rope, the manual says 4mm white / Green, i would like to replace it with as large a rope as possible as it is easier in the hands. but obviously it has to fit on the drum. has anyone else installed larger rope? and are we keeping with the colours in the manual?

Cheers

Lee
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Re: Ropes

Postby Andrew Scullion » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:16 am

Hi Lee,

Full disclosure, many of the members know but as you are new to the forum, I run an online rope and rigging business as well as sail a Cape Cutter.

Don't worry about the colours, use whatever you like, although I would recommend that you make sure they are all different. It is very useful when you have a novice on board to be able to say "pull the blue rope" and there be only one of them.

As for the size, I cannot say for sure as people have different running rigging setups. However, I would not expect you to get away with a larger diameter. Jumping to 5mm is quite significant in terms of volume on the drum, I think mine is 3mm so your 4mm is already thicker than I have on my roller furling. The loads are not enough to cut your hands if you make sure you reef down in time and don't try to roll the sail with the wind in it.

I would recommend Sprintline Polyester for this line. https://nauticalrope.co.uk/shop/marine-rope-type/sprintline-polyester,38/
It comes in lots of colours and the English Braids rope is excellent, I have been testing it for years on boats. You can obviously get it elsewhere too.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Re: Ropes

Postby Lee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:59 am

Andrew

I have been researching ropes and got dizzy with it, Your reply is music to my ears :D

I will send you an email so we can sort out KIRA's new ropes :)
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails