genoa furler -continuous line solution

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

genoa furler -continuous line solution

Postby Stormy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:36 pm

I had enormous problems with my genoa furler jamming (and then on the other hand releasing the genoa when I was reefed down single handed in a blow but this was probably due to a defective cleat) and have ultimately opted for a continuous line system from Ronstan (the Series 60 made for racing dinghy asymmetric sails). The downside, in addition to the price of £300, was I had to get a longer line from dinghy-rope.co.uk and splice it myself and its diameter is smaller than the old furling line but the result has been no snarls so far this year. I had previously tried a much cheaper endless line furler but this was a waste of money because the drum did not grab the line, making it a two-handed job hopeless for single handed sailing. Sailspar does a superior piece of kit, with a larger diameter rope but the price is double that of the Ronstan one.
Stormy
CC19 Association Member

Re: genoa furler -continuous line solution

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi

I'm considering buying the Ronstan series 60. It seems to be designed for smaller boats (dinghies and sports boats). Have you found it OK for the Cape Cutter. I assume you found that the 8 metre spliced line which came with it is too short to reach back to the cockpit. I've found the furler itself online for £144 but this doesn't include the furling line or the top swivel but I assume that it will work with the existing top swivel that I have got with my existing Honnor Marine fitted furling system and I can get a longer spliced line from a different supplier.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby David Peck » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Re: Genoa Furler – continuous line solution

The use of a continuous line Ronston 60 Furler looks very interesting and potentially useful.

However, I’m intrigued as to what you do with the free end of the loop! Obviously you have to bring it aft to the cockpit and fix it somehow. Do you then have to jam it to prevent the wind catching the sail when furled and trying to unwind it? Also, presumably you have to prevent it going over the side and if you run a continuous line through blocks on the bowsprit and deck (as with the standard single line furler) you would have to do this before splicing the two ends. This would then mean you could not take it off to stow below with the sail after a sailing trip.

I would like to know how people set this side of it up? On larger boats it appears to be permanently set up on blocks along the deck sides going to a winch.

I believe Mike Brooks used a Karver continuous line system but have not seen his set-up!

Regards
David Peck
Whistling Rufus CC94
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:10 pm

Mine's on order. I'll let you know when I fit it.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Stormy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:00 am

David, in reply to your question:

"I’m intrigued as to what you do with the free end of the loop! Obviously you have to bring it aft to the cockpit and fix it somehow. Do you then have to jam it to prevent the wind catching the sail when furled and trying to unwind it? Also, presumably you have to prevent it going over the side and if you run a continuous line through blocks on the bowsprit and deck (as with the standard single line furler) you would have to do this before splicing the two ends. This would then mean you could not take it off to stow below with the sail after a sailing trip."

I run both sides of the continuous line loop back (through the original single line furler lead -eyes) and then through a jammer on the cabin roof (I use the staysail halyard jammer as I have got rid of my forestay and use the staysail - with a drum furler - as the forestay, which results in less tangles). The furler works on the basis that it is always disengaged except when there is pressure on the rope. The jammer thus works perfectly to keep the pressure on when the sail is furled. It also works to stop the line washing overboard when the sail is unfurled. If you take the sail off, the line loop is simply drawn out of the jammer and leads and can be easily fed back into them when you put it back on.

In addition to its standard use, I find it works well in light winds when you have the problem of the genoa not wanting to tack round the forestay: you can quickly shorten sail to get it round the forestay and then release. The release occurs immediately the pressure comes off the line - with the old drum furler, I found this increased the risk of a jam. Its much safer than having to run up to the foredeck and back to clear the sail each time you tack!

Best wishes,
Patrick (Stormy)
Stormy
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails