Lazy Jacks

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Lazy Jacks

Postby Richard Rickard » Tue May 19, 2015 3:41 pm

I have just implemented the lazy jacks modification in lieu of the original topping lift, as advocated by Dennis, Russell and Charles (see 'Kicking Strap' thread). I used their dimensions for fitting the bullseyes on the boom i.e. one set 65cm forward of the end of the boom, and the second set mid way between the two cleats on the port side of the boom (topping/reefing cleats). This is a great improvement on the original single line from one side of the boom to the other, but it seems to me that the lazy jacks are set a bit too far aft, and not gathering up the bulk of the mainsail when dropped. I am wondering whether the forward lazy jacks should be mounted further forward, or whether things might be better with a third lazy jack mounted about a third of the way along from the front of the boom. Does anyone who has implemented this mod have a view, based on their experience?
Richard ('Nettie' 50)
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Re: Lazy Jacks

Postby Dennis » Tue May 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Hello Richard

I have a view.

I have had the third lazy jack for a number of seasons now, it works well.

I wonder if four would be better. :rolleyes:

I will rummage through my pics and see if I have a suitable one that shows my version.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 pm

I have found a couple of photos.

IMG_4402Reduced.jpg

The photos should be self explanatory. The lines are self compensating.

The aft lines are attached to a bullet fairlead under the boom and pass through soft eyes in the ends of the two single lines coming down from the double block at the hounds. The forward and middle lines are one line. It starts at another fairlead (middle) goes up (port) and passes through a soft eye in the end of the aft line (port)then down and under the boom (it is now the forward line) back up (starboard) and through the (starboard) soft eye of the aft line and back down (starboard to be tied off at the same fairlead it started at (middle).

Sounds complicated, but it works.

I have cleats fitted both sides of the boom at the aft end. I hook all the lazy jack lines around these to free up the whole length of the boom to fit the sail cover.

IMG_4403Reduced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun May 31, 2015 9:05 am

Richard Rickard wrote:...not gathering up the bulk of the mainsail when dropped...

Hi Richard! I too had wondered about altering the lazy jacks for this reason. However, I found that the bungee sail tie arrangement (as fitted in Mary Ann and now Aurora) removes the necessity for that because it is so quick to tie the sail up neatly.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Richard Rickard » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:11 am

Many thanks both, for your input. I will give it a season's practice and see how we go.
Looks like you had another great International week, well done.
Richard ('Nettie' 50)
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:19 pm

Dennis, how do you form the eyes in the end of your lines -, they look very neat.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:50 pm

Dennis, Is the aft lazy jack line one line or two separate ones. Wouldn't it be better as a single line. Are they 6mm or less?
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Dennis » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:32 am

Paul Turner wrote:Dennis, how do you form the eyes in the end of your lines -, they look very neat.

Hello Paul

The larger line 8mm dia(The HM supplied original) has a soft eye properly sliced.
The smaller lines (either 4 or 5mm dia) are too small for splicing so I simply formed the loop by doubling the end of the line and tightly whipping with waxed whipping cord.

The aft lazy jack line is two separate lines. One end attached to boom (bowline though bullet fairlead), the other end has the tightly whipped soft eye described above.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails