Honda 5 hp - gearlever extension

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Honda 5 hp - gearlever extension

Postby Chris Wicks » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:35 am

Last season I made a small mod for the engine which has vastly improved the ability to control the engine when manouveuring in harbours and tight spaces.

I cut an old length of 1" stainless steel tube that loosely fits over the gear lever handle on the side of the engine. I cut a slot of about 10cm at the base of the tube that allows it to fit more securly over the gear lever shaft as it comes out from the engine casing.

The lever can stow in the stern seat locker when not required or left in place whilst sailing. To stop it rattling around I stuffed a bit of J cloth in the base where it fits over the gear lever. It works so well, I would rate it as the most useful modification I have made.

Now coming along side in a tight space I can stand on the seat holding the tiller extension and with one foot move the gear lever as required. All done in tick over or what ever throttle setting required...
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Hello Chris

Your modification sounds good to me. I normally sail single handed and there are occasions that I wish that I had a third hand. Being able to operate the outboard with a foot could be an option.

How long is your foot operated gear lever?

Did you use round or square tube?

Sorry there are so many questions! But I find life is full of questions, but there are never the same number of answers.

A photo would be useful.

How is the weather in your part of the world? We have had a reasonable spring and early summer here in Northumberland and I have managed to have 11 days sailing so far.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:57 am

Hi,
I have added a couple of general photo's that show gear lever to 'Kaliope in Greece' album. I will add some dimensions and a close up of the gear lever later.

I launched Kaliope in early May since when the air temp has been in 20's +.

A week ago I moved Kaliope from it's spring / autumn mooring in Valtoudi Bay, Gulf of Volos. Now it is on it's summer mooring at Platanias, Aegean sea opposite the islands of Evia and Skiathos. This is a semi open harbour 5 minutes from home. No mooring fees here, just pick a good spot and put in a good strong mooring for the summer. The sailing needless to say is excellent with plenty of steady f3-4 winds warm seas and blue skys. I am very spoilt after years of sailing in the Uk and working on the River Thames!
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am

Helo Chris

Thanks for the reply. The gear lever looks good. I will give it some more thought when I return from my holidays. I am off to the Italian Lakes for a couple of weeks, but sadly not with boat.

I really envy your sailing area, super photos!

Happy sailing

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 am

Hi

The gearlever was made from some scrap 3cm diameter stainless steel tubing. I had a length of 52cm so used that. I cut a slot with an angle grinder and tried it. It has been so effective that I have not tried to improve it. It stows in a seat locker, but this season with a bit of rag stuffed in the end to stop rattling, I have left it in place. Although it can just foul the tiller when tacking, I have not found the need to shorten it.

I use a stern anchor in harbours and beaches (all gear deployed from a stern locker) When pulling her away from the beach into deep water the gearlever usefully just helps to hold the tiller in a central position.

Close up picture now posted on Kaliope album....
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines