Solution to leaking hatch.

Improvements and solutions

Re: Solution to leaking hatch.

Postby erbster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:36 am

That’s sikaflex, Julian. It is a marine grade silicone sealant, but it’s also an excellent adhesive and is highly uv stable. There are similar “unbranded” alternatives but they are not as good. You can buy the solvent but it’s quite expensive. Before the sikaflex has cured, white spirit is an excellent solvent (ie for cleaning up immediately after the job).

Charles Erb CC19 #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Julian Porter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:42 pm

I removed the window yesterday. It is made from toughened glass marked West Cape Toughened. It is not Lexan like the modern boats.
The black sealant came off easily just like a strip of rubber. In fact if you told me it was rubber I would believe you. It had little adhesion to the glass. Some algae was present at the corners between the glass and sealant indicating where the seal had broken. Is this Sikaflex?

To replace the window I need to bed it in a sealant which will bond to mineral glass and fibreglass and allow for plenty of movement. Being glass this panel will not flex like the deck. I asked a boat builder here and he said he would use plain marine silicone and put tape over the top to stop the UV. It’s certainly a lot cheaper than Sikaflex when used together with the primers. He said the adhesion to glass was very good providing it is clean. As I’m not painting anything and don’t need to worry about silicone residue it seems like a reasonable suggestion. It would be a relatively simple job to remove the window and sealant and re-bed it In the future if it breaks down. Thoughts?
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:17 pm

In my experience, Sikaflex sticks to most things like s*** to a blanket. I think something unusual has happened on your boat; my hatch is definitely plastic, not glass. Your suggestion sounds reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Lee » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi All

As some may have seen Kira sat on the bottom of lake coniston, i believe it was caused by a combination of water entering the sliding hatch and once lowered in the water water came in through the u bolt at the bow waterline and through the bulkhead that has holes in it! :eek:
I am designing a new hatch and i am looking to source some ultra strong sheet like Makrolon and mill some run off troughs in it.
i would be grateful uf someone advised me of the thickness of the original hatch as mine is 8mm but the track could take up to 12mm, i suspect it has been replaced previously.
the addition and obvious solution of fitting a spray hood is music to my ears :D
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:34 pm

Presumably you mean the water came in through the sliding hatch when afloat? I’ve not heard of problems with that (but if the boat is left nose down on the trailer the cabin will gain a foot spa if it rains!). Some have had trouble with the fixed hatch leaking though.

Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:53 pm

As this thread seals with sealants, I hope it is OK to ask here a different question about the Sikaflex around the (fixed) transparent panel in the coachroof (HM build boat approx 2014).

On Rondo the black sealant has been spread in a strip about 3cm wide around the edge of the panel. It is of course fully cured but still flexible and rubbery and it rubs off on whatever scuffs over it. Hence when in leant on it to hook the Mains’l cringle onto the reefing horns from the companionway, my best sweater acquired a black rectangular print. Hence also my boom cover has black smears from when I de-rig and manhandle the boom/gaff/sail across the deck to its towing position.

My question - how can I stick/paint something over the Sikaflex that will not rub off on passing fabrics? What do other owners do? Or are you just more careful to avoid touching it?

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby erbster » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:40 am

Good question, Malcolm. I experience something similar. I don’t think it’s sikaflex, as when I have used that elsewhere, once cured it doesn’t have the effect you describe. At some point I’ll take the hatch off and reseal it, as it looks quite untidy now.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:34 am

We don't have that issue so it sounds like you don't have Sikaflex, or it hasn't cured properly. We had a different issue there in that the protective film had been left on the Lexan so there was a leak. We redid it with Sikaflex 295 and it has been fine, be aware it did use a whole tube.

Alistair
CC19 #92 Tystie
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:01 am

Malcolm Sadler wrote:
My question - how can I stick/paint something over the Sikaflex that will not rub off on passing fabrics? What do other owners do? Or are you just more careful to avoid touching it?

Malcolm

When I had leaks from the same area I (neatly) covered the sealant with 50mm wide waterproof "gaffa" tape. This temporary solution worked and I left it there for a couple of years. However, I was never aware of the sealant causing black marks on anything which touched it.

As I did not need the glazing due to having it covered with a solar panel, I eventually asked Bob to produce a "blind" hatch garage for me, which he also fitted.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:42 am

I think I may do something similar with a solar panel myself.

Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications