What outboard to buy

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Re: What outboard to buy

Postby Julian Porter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am

Any recommendations for a quiet engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Julian Porter wrote:Any recommendations for a quiet engine?

An electric one?

If four-stroke, then the newer 6hp are a bit quieter. Plus, if you put a high pitch prop on, you get lower revs for a given speed. But I expect you already know this...

Charles Erb CC19 #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Julian Porter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm

erbster wrote:If four-stroke, then the newer 6hp are a bit quieter. Plus, if you put a high pitch prop on, you get lower revs for a given speed. But I expect you already know this...

Did I read in the forum that there was a problem fitting the 6hp Honda into the well?
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:05 pm

If you want a reasonably quiet engine then a twin is the way to go but there are drawbacks. When I got Falcon it had a 2 cylinder 6hp Honda which was smooth and bearable but ridiculously heavy to lift in and out (I never left the engine in the boat at the club). I changed it for a new 5hp Honda which was a bit lighter so the boat didnt drag her backside so much but it was much more agricultural like all singles. The manfacturers won't invest in producing a really quiet small engine as they usually get used in tenders or are hung over the transom of a small fishing boat where they echo a bit less.
I found that on Kielder the little 2.5hp Suzuki that I used on my Drascombe was well up to the job of pushing a CC19 on a lake though might struggle with a tide running against you ;) It ran much quieter than the 5hp, used barely any fuel and weighed next to nothing. The boat sailed much better with that engine than any other.
Im not sure about the latest 6hp Honda, but if its a twin then like mine it is probably a restricted 10hp motor. The chap that bought mine derestricted it to get the full output.
My current boat (Lune Whammel) came with a 4hp Yamaha which seems quieter than the Honda as I recall it, but its still a conversation killer. I bought a 2.5hp Yam which is a small improvement though still too noisy to be tolerated for long. Fortunately, on Kielder they tend to be used only forgetting into the jetties or when theres a very adverse wind.
Many years ago I did have a boat with an 8hp 2 cylinder Mercury which was delightfully smooth and near silent but it was a 2 stroke so a tad persona non grata nowadays.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Julian Porter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Greybeard wrote:... I changed it for a new 5hp Honda ...

I found that on Kielder the little 2.5hp Suzuki that I used on my Drascombe was well up to the job of pushing a CC19 on a lake though might struggle with a tide running against you ;) It ran much quieter than the 5hp, used barely any fuel and weighed next to nothing. The boat sailed much better with that engine than any other.

Steve

Was your Drascombe engine the Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke? Does it surprise you that it was quieter than the 5hp Honda?
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Julian Porter wrote:Any recommendations for a quiet engine?

One of our members Gary Oldfield gets around the problem of engine noise by using active noise cancelling ear phones. Works a treat apparently. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Julian Porter wrote:
Was your Drascombe engine the Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke? Does it surprise you that it was quieter than the 5hp Honda?

Yes it was the tiny 4-stroke. I will admit to expecting the 5hp Honda to be better silenced and smoother than it was. I should have kept the Suzy but let it go with the Drascombe. I bought the 2.5 Yam engine mainly for the perceived build quality. It is heavier than the the Suzy though still much more manageable than the 4hp one - and it is extremely frugal with the petrol.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Everything about Engines