Problems below the waterline

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Problems below the waterline

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Resulting from another thread I realised that Kaliope shows evidence of some osmosis around the waterline midships. She spends 6 months afloat each summer in the warm waters of the Aegean sea. So I have arranged to take her to a small local traditional shipbuilder who also deals in GRP. We will remove all the old antifouling. Inspect for osmosis. Deal with whatever we find and make a record of it. After necessary repairs, she will be coppercoated. I will raise the waterline level of the antifouling as it has always been low in the waterline midships. I will keep a record of it on a photo album on our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ab73dedbc3 As I was told by the pragmatic owner of the boatyard, wood rots, metal rusts and GRP can get it's own problems too!

Fingers crossed.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: Problems below the waterline

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

I visited our Greek boatyard today and inspected the first stages of stripping off the antifouling and gelcoat below the waterline. It appears that the surface osmosis was more cosmetic and quite probably did not require the full treatment we have implemented. Despite that, I am very happy with our decision. We have enjoyed 13 seasons of sailing and Kaliope is part of the family now. We hope to sail her for many years to come. When the gelcoat is stripped off she will be tested for moisture levels and vacuum dried if necessary. She will be reprofiled with epoxy filler and epoxy resin before the copper coat finish to a slightly raised waterline. I have posted some more photos that may be seen here ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ab73dedbc3
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andy Yates » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:32 pm

I've got a similar problem and have done some reading up on osmosis. One thing I came across was that gel coat thickness can be a factor and a gel coat that is too thick can be effected. As the main effected area on C60 is on the starboard side only and along the boot top line I'm wondering if that's my problem as the other side is fine. My blisters are very small to about an old 1/2 penny size with some areas looking rippled as if the gel coat has sagged ! Strangely its either on the waterline or just above. She is sailed in fresh water so will site lower. Maybe I should take the advice from the other thread and get her into the briny.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Sorry to hear you’ve got blisters. Come and join us next month on the East Coast. Maybe it will help. Even if it doesn’t, you’ll enjoy yourself!

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:45 pm

I visited Kaliope in the boatyard recently. It has been left with gel coat stripped off over the winter and being in no rush this season it will soon be filled and epoxy resin coated before copper coat. We are raising the copper coat to cover a couple of inches above the original waterline. Back on the water by early June I hope.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andy Yates » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Has it been an expensive job ? I'm thinking of having mine looked at in October plus some other bits.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri May 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Chris Wicks wrote:I visited Kaliope in the boatyard recently. It has been left with gel coat stripped off over the winter and being in no rush this season it will soon be filled and epoxy resin coated before copper coat. We are raising the copper coat to cover a couple of inches above the original waterline. Back on the water by early June I hope.

Sounds like a proper solution to the problem.

Are you going to use a dedicated anti-osmosis coating such as "Gelshield" before the application of Coppercoat?

I hope you you are back on the water soon.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri May 03, 2019 10:59 pm

This is not something I discussed with the boatyard but will do so. They have a wooden 10 meter cutter under construction and plan to Copper coat both boats at the same time. Meanwhile, our Lune Whammel is ready for our early season (warm) Aegean sailing.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri May 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Andy Yates wrote:Has it been an expensive job ? I'm thinking of having mine looked at in October plus some other bits.

I don't like to think about that too much. I am paying €5000 + Vat but in an excellent local boatbuilders yard. I was quoted half that amount by a yard in Thessaloniki (4 hours away). As Kaliope is still worth more or less what I paid for her in 2005 I do not resent investing in this work and the thought of no more antifouling for years to come is a bonus.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Let us know how you get on..

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails