Fitting A Sprayhood & other modifications

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Fitting A Sprayhood & other modifications

Postby Stephen Foyle » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Hello All,

Am wondering if fitting a new sprayhood to a CC is an easy job ? Also are they readily available to buy and at what sort of price?

Have read some posts on forum but they are dated from 2011. Is it still desirable to raise the gooseneck when fitting sprayhood ? Perhaps it is just easier to buy a boat with much of the modifications needed to sail at sea already carried out. Would lose out on some personal satisfaction but I like to spend time sailing and certainly do not have the skill for electrical work.

Am trying to evaluate the implications of buying an older South African CC needing updating or a newer Honor Marine CC

Any thoughts on the subject gratefully received.

Stephen
Stephen Foyle
CC19 Association Member

Re: Fitting A Sprayhood & other modifications

Postby Greybeard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Hello, Stephen.
Fitting a sprayhood is within the scope of a proficient DIYer but would need some methodical careful work to ensure a good fit. As to cost, it may be worth contacting Nick at Cape Cutter for the current price. I wouldnt be surprised if it was around the 500 or 600 quid mark. It would also be possible to have a local, trusted boatyard to fit it for you, but naturally it would up the cost. They may even be able to suggest a manufacturer closer to you.
As with all these things, it is often better to find a boat that has the spec you want. The full cost of upgrades is rarely reflected to its full extent in the price and the cost of upgrading a boat is an expensive process.
Additions such as spinlock clutches for the running rigging and furling gear are well worth seeking out though by no means essential. Once you employ someone to fit those items, the cost soon spirals.
That boat we spoke about by email seems to be very well specced and may suit your needs.
My CC had the raisd gooseneck which I found excellent, but I cant offer an opinion on the standard height as I never rigged Falcon with it.
Hopefully you will get a few more responses to help you decide.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Nick Martin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi Stephen,
Sorry, just spotted you 'Sprayhood post'..
I would agree with 'Greybeard'.
My total sprayhood cost was around £600 a few years ago .. I bet they're more now .. I fitted it myself - a bit tricky, but doable .. having originally sailed without a sprayhood for years, I would definitely advocate getting one - they revolutionise the boat when sailing in big waves/foul weather and at anchor/on a mooring in the rain .. without doubt, my favourite upgrade to my boat.
As far as I can tell, the main perceived benefit of the newer boats is the spinlocks (if you like them - I've never had a problem with the jammers fixed to the original boats) - anyway, something that you could easily upgrade yourself.
The SA boats had lighter masts which helped just a little bit with mast raising and slightly improved stability.
Personally, I would not advocate raising the gooseneck - especially on a boat with a heavier mast .. small changes in rig weight and height have disproportionate effects on stability and In my experience this is unnecessary .. It is true that a number of folk have done this without any trouble and the original gooseneck position means that the sprayhood seems a bit low (but you quickly get used to it) .. However, the gooseneck on any boat is subject to quite high loads and fixing it to the tabernacle (as designed), rather than the mast, seems eminently sensible .. (If you MUST raise the boom, then a strop at the tack held against the mast with a hoop or parrel beads would be a better option, with the boom rising up to the clew)
The most significant downside of the SA boats is the original trailer that proved difficult with spares and does not have automatic reversing brakes (I traded mine in for a new HM one) .. Otherwise, I really don't think the boat build quality is significantly different .. I think the biggest consideration with a second hand trailer-sailer is how well the boat has been looked after and how much time it has spent in the water.
Nick
Nick Martin
Non Association Member

Postby Stephen Foyle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi Nick & Steve,

Thank you both for your comprehensive replies.

It certainly looks like it is worth spending a little more money for a well specced & looked after boat with a purpose built trailer in good condition . Can well understand that various modifications, new sprayhood,replacing sails etc. may soon seriously lower the bank balance & an apparent “cheap boat” may well end up very expensive indeed…

I appreciate your time spent in replying, it’s a big help in my decision making.

Stephen
Stephen Foyle
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:22 pm

My boat has no spray hood and we have enjoyed 5 years of sailing without. However, Aurora can be quite wet going to wind and now she is on a mooring, I want something to keep the weather out. So I’ve bought a spray hood from Nick at CC marine. I’ve worked quite a bit on my boat, so I’m expecting to do a competent job, but it’s nerve wracking drilling through the deck...

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat