Ullswater August 2018

Queries, notice of, questions or write ups regarding Non-Association events

Ullswater August 2018

Postby Gary Oldfield » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Anyone fancy a sail round ullswater in August ? I want to try out my new mast , sails, door, rudder, lazy jack system, new tiller , new Samson post, new main sheet system , newly painted and varnished woodwork , two new spinlock jammers and bow spit blocks. Oh yes !!
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Re: Ullswater August 2018

Postby bellalistair » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Oooo, shiney!

We'll be about and have never sailed on Ullswater yet so sounds like a good opportunity.

Anyone else?
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:50 pm

I’m in. Still sorting out dates though. I’ll contact the very nice people at Glenridding Sailong Centre and see if they can accommodate us

Best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:51 pm

I’ve spoken to Glenridding Sailing Centre whom I know well and are helpful. They get busy in summer but say they can fit us in somehow. I said it would be 1-4 Cape Cutters (they like the boats - a lot of modern build trad designs are based there)

For those who don’t know them, they have a tiny pontoon which can only accommodate 2 boats max apart from boats permanently there. But they have a mini tractor and can launch you very easily (I normally just hold the lines and step In off the pontoon) and are happy to do this as often as we need. But they tend to finish about 4.30 so last recovery about 4pm each day. If weather reasonable I imagine we could raft on the pontoon so as to moor more than 2 CCs. The trouble is
they have no swinging moorings and anchoring is a problem because the Lake plunges very deep about 20 meters offshore. Hence needing the tiny pontoon or to be hauled out. I don’t want to put anyone off by all this. Pete Josh and the others at Glenridding are great fun to be with and incredibly helpful and I love going there (which I have a lot). There’s a good pub in the village and fine walks into the mountains too. Of course, sleeping in the boat when it’s on their hard is perfectly OK and no charge is made (I think)

Can people post to say if they are interested? I would like to firm up numbers with Glenridding. I will arrive and rig on land on 1st Aug so for me first launch will be am. on 2nd Aug. I will need to haul out the following Saturday evening so as to derig and tow back to Oxford (though I may leave the boat there for use later in August - it’s a question of Lakes or Chichester Harbour). Others may choose different dates but it would be good if a few of us can overlap some days.

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby bellalistair » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Yep we are up for arriving Thursday afternoon (2nd) and sail Fri/Sat/Sun leave Sunday late afternoon to come and see what Ullswater has to offer :-)
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 pm

I’m case anyone was about to join in the Ullswater trip please note that Malcolm and Alistair/Katy (Rondo and Tystie) have decided to postpone the Ullswater sail - in view of the forecast solid rain then fog then dwindling winds. We hope to go there later in the season.

I will take Rondo to Chichester Harbour instead, as the forecast there is very different. I shall aim at Northeney Marina being the closest to Oxford and with a good slipway. Do post on this thread if anyone fancies a day or two on those waters

I’ll be checking with the Marina tomorrow morning about available mooring and will post here if they can accommodate one or more Cape Cutters. When I asked previously they said they can usually squeeze in a litt’un.

Cheers

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Return to Non Association Events