Honda 5hp exhaust corrosion -

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Honda 5hp exhaust corrosion -

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:35 am

I came across this problem with my friends Honda 5hp fitted to his Shrimper yesterday and think it worth sharing. The engine looks very clean and well serviced but it's history is unknown. It starts easily but quickly labours and eventually cuts out and will not restart. The emergency solution is to remove the engine cover and the engine starts immediately and works perfectly.

The problem is a small corrosion hole in the exhaust manifold that sits below the engine inside the engine cover. The cover fills with exhaust gasses and prevents the carburettor breathing fresh air.

A new manifold is required clearly, but in the short term can the hole be fixed with a metal filler? We will find out...

I have heard of Honda 5's stopping through an unknown cause so this is worth checking out if it happens to you. Remove the cover and see if the engine restarts.

Best wishes

Chris

Kaliope 67
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: Honda 5hp exhaust corrosion -

Postby Andy Yates » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:12 pm

If you can get to it I'd advise drilling and tapping, then installing a short bolt and spring washer.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Re: Honda 5hp exhaust corrosion -

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks Andy, It really is a friends engine and he has tried a fix with a metal repair putty. I don't know what brand. At our local country hardware store (in rural Greece) he was offered the product with the reassurance that the guy in the shop repaired his tractor manifold 4 years ago and it is still fine. So we shall see. My friend says he cleaned out the edge of the hole as best he could, sanded exterior surface and cleaned it all with acetone. Pressed a little putty well into the hole and then more around the external surface. We will see how it goes. If it lasts the season he will treat the engine to a new manifold. I will certainly pass on your suggestion, but drilling and tapping would require engine removal as well.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Everything about Engines