We can all learn by our mistakes

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

We can all learn by our mistakes

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Replacement furling line... OOps
My old genoa furling line was looking a bit worn so I went out and bought a new one. The same as the old one plus perhaps a meter for good measure. I loaded it on the drum, it worked nicely, I was satisfied.

Then I looked at all the meters of line in the cockpit and somehow came to the conclusion that I must have bought far to much line and to make it a sensible length I cut about 5 meters off it. This was much better and neater.

Yesterday we went out for a sail, starting under reefed main and jib we had a great time. After a while we decided to deploy the genoa. As I pulled the sheet and let the furling line run out with a half deployed genoa I came to the end of the furling line and it disappeared along the deck!

The moral of the story is don't suffer from furling line dyslexia as I obviously did. When the sail is furled lots of line will be in the cockpit. When the sail is deployed there should be a little bit aft to pull on! Oops a trip to the chandler is needed!
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: We can all learn by our mistakes

Postby oak » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 pm

I liked that Chris,shown it to the better half just to demonstrate that I am not the only one
oak
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat