Outboard Corrosion

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Outboard Corrosion

Postby Moneypenny » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 am

Last year I kept my Mariner 4 hp 4-stroke o/b shipped in the well pretty much all summer. It is not easy to lift in and out as the boat lies bows in on a finger pontoon with no access from the side. The winter service revealed significant internal corrosion. Clearly this year I must pay more attention to regular fresh water flushes. You used to be able to buy a special wooden insert that lifted the o/b clear of the water. Does anybody have any helpful advice on how this works? Pictures? Failing that it seems that the only answer is to sling the motor ashore on a halyard and run it up in the yard's flushing tank. Grateful for any help on this one.
Moneypenny

Postby oak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I have one of these little support brackets which came with the boat along with a rubber grommet and for when I want to go really fast a plug for the outboard well.
the outboard support is very simple ,quite easy to make.I will take a photo tomorrow and post it.
the unit is prevented from sideways movement by little lugs and mine has pins which locate into the locker lids.

my photos will reveal all
Oak
"Merlin"
p.s.
I have never used the support as I am currently sailing in fresh water
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Moneypenny » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:46 am

Many thanks Oak, that would be useful
Moneypenny

Postby oak » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:13 am

I have put up a couple of pics,Moneypenny.If not quite clear have a nother couple.end shots to show angle but the angle is appro the angle of the standard bracket
sorry about the quality but shot with cam corder
envy you your location.
went to school at Bembridge for a year in 1946
Oak
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Moneypenny » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Many thanks, Oak. More than enough to go on and certainly worth a try this year. I can probably flush through from a bucket of fresh water.
Yes, the Solent is a great place to be based. Both my daughters went to Bembridge School. Very naughty the way it was wound up (Ruskin artifacts etc).
Moneypenny

Return to Everything about Engines