Kyles of Bute - reommendations for cruises?

For notice of adhoc sails in company

Kyles of Bute - reommendations for cruises?

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Having booked out the May bank holiday and first week of June for sailing, and as Rondo will be on Ullswater in mid May, I have decided to head for the Firth of Clyde/Kyles of Bute at that time. Gary Oldfield (Moneypenny) is based on Kielder Water, and his club is apparently organising something in the Firth of Clyde area so he and I hope to share some time with them and we are aiming to plan some suitable day or two day cruises for our Cape Cutters.

Question - does anyone have experience of cruising in that area and any tips or suggested routes/marinas/anchorages?

If any CC19's based in Scotland or Northern England like the idea too, do get in touch.

Cheers

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Re: Kyles of Bute - reommendations for cruises?

Postby Dennis » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Malcolm

When exactly do you expect to be on the Firth of Clyde?
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:03 am

Hello Malcolm,
I sailed south through the Crinan Canal in 2015 calling at
1. East Loch Tarbert . Easy entrance , very friendly ,lots of new pontoons , the Town is busy with several
pubs and restaurants. Just there the night so didn't explore further.

2. Troon. Large , friendly , professional marina . Good restaurant in the marina . Large concrete slipway
and lots of parking space. Town centre half a mile away.
We pulled Minnie out here , and plan to launch prior to heading south at the end of May.

I think the Shrimper community are very active in the Clyde area , we passed several being trailered as
we came through the Crinan Canal . I'm sure if you contacted their association rep. in the Clyde area you'd
get some advice.

Good luck , fantastic area to sail in.
Ian
"Minnie" CC19 (85)
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:06 am

Ian

Many thanks for your useful recommendations. Just the sort of hands on experience I was hoping for.

I have done a bit of web research and ordered the "Clyde Cruising Club Sailing Directions and Anchorages for Firth of Clyde" which I hope will help keep a stranger to the waters out of trouble.

Good idea about contacting the Shrimpers too. Having been on ferries between some of the islands south of Oban I have seen how the tide can race on the West coast and I'm particularly keen to find out if there are any tricky areas to avoid. Shrimpers will have the same concerns being identical size to CC19s, so I will seek their counsel.

I see you are resuming your round trip. How far are you aiming to get this season?

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:11 am

Dennis

29th May to 7th June is the period Gary and I have blocked out. We need to firm up the details soon.

Are you tempted to join us? That would be excellent.

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Mon May 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Dennis

Gary and I, both rather last minute planners, are firming up the Firth of Clyde week

We'll launch at Kip Marina on 29th May. Day cruise on 30th May - possibly to explore Holy Loch and some of Loch Long but depends on tides and wind

1st June I have to train back to Oxford for a funeral so Gary can say what he's going to do then

2nd June and through to the night of 5th we will aim to visit Port Bannantyne or Rothesay (both marinas/pontoons), possibly a night on visitors' moorings off Tighnabruaich, Portvadie and/or E Loch Tarbert. I am checking tides today. Routes between these, and day cruises, will depend on conditions (and Submarine exercises!) but from the chart and the CCA Sailing Directions some of the following look appealing:-

Around Great and Little Cumbrae.

Around Bute (probably 2 days and maybe in 2 legs, one diverting up Loch Fyne to visit Portvadie/ E L Tarbert

Explore some of Loch Fyne

Over to Arran (pretty definitely not around it as that is 50/60 NM with no guaranteed safe haven!)

Reading the "Sailing Directions " it sounds as if there are few anchorages suitable for a novice like me and suitable for all winds so we will limit ourselves to pontoons, marinas and buoy moorings. We'll take at least one tender.

As Gary has said on the 2017 Rally thread, we will do some scouting on this trip, so will be able to recommend with more confidence if the CCA fancies a rally in Firth of Clyde in a future year. From video blogs of other CC sailors, it does look very beautiful in the sunshine, but I am quite prepared to believe it can have a very different face in a Southerly storm!

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 pm

The Kyles of Bute expanded somewhat into an exploration of the Firth of Clyde and sea lochs giving into the Firth.

Wonderful sailing grounds. A good number of well spaced marinas most with good food nearby.

Gary and I will write up our week of cruising and post some photos to whet your whistles

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Return to Adhoc Social Sails