Sails

Advertise for wanted items here.....

Sails

Postby Gary Oldfield » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Anyone got spare genoa,,,mines at its end...£540 for a new one, deep down I know the answer .
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Re: Sails

Postby Dennis » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Hello Gary

Get a yankee, much more use.

I have not used my genoa since the "race" at the first CC19 rally at Mylor in 2014. I will keep it though. When my yankee is no longer serviceable I will get the genoa cut down to a yankee. ;)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Gary Oldfield » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Dennis , I think Iv got one,,and I do use it,,but it's like a tiny tiny sail..you could always have mine which is mostly good,,and the wrong colour ,,cheers
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Postby Gary Oldfield » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 pm

My what I thought of as a Yankee is half size of Yrs..very skinny triangle
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello Gary

I think what you have is a "blade" yankee, very skinny as you say, and is only intended to be used in conjunction with a staysail. Have you used it? I seem to remember seeing a photo of "Moneypenny" on the old Googlegroups website/forum with such a rig.

The full genoa is really intended to be used as the only foresail (not in conjunction with the staysail) especially when beating, although you can get away with it (with the staysail) on anything from a beam reach to a dead run, especially in light airs.

As I have already said, I have not used my genoa for three years. To be honest, I spend most of my time using staysail and single reefed mainsail only, it copes with F2 to F5 very well.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 am

Like Dennis I have an excellent genoa in storage. I plan to hang onto it with a view to cutting it down to a yankee (or maybe yankee +) at some time. I resisted a yankee for a long time but the improved balance and versatility is amazing. I posted a broad reach video a couple of days ago on FB and we were making 6 knots in a F3. I find that beating to windward the genoa would overpower in a F4 and then the jib would be underpowered. This is where for me the yankee comes into it's own. But I am tempted to take the Yankee and genoa to our sailmaker (Batt sails at Bosham) and cut down the genoa so it is halfway between the two...???
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Wanted Items