CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Re: CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Postby Simon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks for the update Dennis.

I could currently join a rally either at Whitsun or in July/ August. But I am trying to arrange something else for May/ June so a quick decision on whether or not we are going for Whitsun would be very helpful.

Best wishes,

Simon
CC87 "Sea Badger 2"
Simon
CC19 Association Member

Postby Gary Oldfield » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:30 am

Only whitsun for me ,, or may as I prefer to call it ! To be honest Iv never heard of a whit sun ! But I think we are leaving this very late to get deals on ferries !
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Re: Proposed CC19 rally 2017 To Holland

Postby David Peck » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:24 am

Proposed CC19 Rally 2017 in Holland

Unfortunately, Charles Erb, who would normally have been organising this Rally, is now unable to attend for personal reasons. I have therefore been asked to take the lead and organise the proposed Rally and see if we can come up with a definitive date that will suit the majority.

The following dates are proposed:

1. 27th May-Spring Bank Holiday (listed but with strong reservations- see below)
2. 8th July
3. 12th August
4. 19th August

The Spring Bank Holiday Week - I have two reasons for not favouring this date. The first reason is, that from early contact with Charles, I was not expecting this date to be chosen due to his school association (not being able to extend his stay into a second week) and have half committed to another event. The second reason is the weather. It seems to me that if people are going to spend a lot of money travelling to Holland they really ought to expect and want some decent weather. Although the weather cannot be guaranteed, it is likely to be much better and certainly warmer in the summer. My experiences of sailing at this time of year have nearly always been cold, wet and windy! I did the Semaine du Golfe one year and a potentially fantastic week was ruined by the weather. I’ve not dined outside at Calais Rally Spring Bank Holiday weekends or worn shorts for nearly 20 years or more!

Can all the people interested in attending this Rally please indicate what dates they could actually attend. Please respond along the following lines:

Ellen MacArthur
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes (preferred)

Some people will probably want to extend their stay beyond the one week proposed. It is recommended that, if possible, you tag it onto the end of the official week to enable us to all arrive and launch on the same day. If travelling from Harwich it is recommended you book “flexi” tickets (both ways)to enable you to change dates or obtain a refund if your circumstances change.

If/when we can decide on a suitable date to suit the majority, I will send out more details of the itinerary and collate any launching preferences etc.

If you are just interested at this stage or have any queries, please also let me know.

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks David. Here's my reply and I wish you luck in getting this organised:

Paul Turner (Sapphire)
Yes
Yes
Yes
No (at least at this stage)

I will almost certainly stay for a second week.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Simon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for taking this on, and I hope Charles is able to get back involved soon.

Responses on the proposed dates for the rally:
Simon Temple
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes (preferred)
4. Yes

Best wishes,

Simon Temple
CC19 87 "Sea Badger 2"
Simon
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Malcolm Sadler
1 Yes
2 No
3 No
4 No

Sorry this is all I can offer - having read David's comments as to the case against May, I will quite understand others choosing a summer date. As mentioned in a prevous post, my ability to go at all is linked to sharing a boat (Rondo or Monneypenny) with Gary Oldfield.

Grateful thanks to you David for all your work - and the benefit of your experience of sailing Continental waters.

All the best

Malcolm
Rondo s/n 123
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Dennis » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Malcolm Sadler wrote: As mentioned in a prevous post, my ability to go at all is linked to sharing a boat (Rondo or Monneypenny) with Gary Oldfield.

I realise that Gary is only available during the spring bank holiday week. Would you be available on any of the other dates if you had competent crew?
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Dennis

I'm afraid it's not just crew. In this my second season I'm beginning to find friends who dare to sail with me, and indeed having survived the 2016 Rally sailing solo I don't mind doing that again.

But family holiday arrangements in the summer are up in the air and I just cannot commit to a date at this time other than the May week.

Best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Gary Oldfield » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am

Yes
No
No
No

Unfortunately my job is summer based so I could only get away for 4-5 days, and I only get one weekend off a month as well....so I'm still on to join Malcolm (in May) but totally understand the summer preferences as it's an expensive trip if we have the weather we had for half the time at Chichester.

If you decide on a summer date theres always a chance I could come out for a few days if someone had a spare bunk?

Appreciate the hard work that's going into this david

Kind regards Garyoldfield
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dave de Groot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Dave de Groot

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

Looking forward to meet you all here in Holland.

Kind regards,

Dave
Dave de Groot
Non Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Association Events