Light weight power supply to instruments

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Light weight power supply to instruments

Postby Mark Donnelly » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Having recently bought my CC19 (Moonstruck) without any electrics fitted, I was keen to fit a depth sounder to assist safe navigation of the creaks of the eastcoast. I was faced with the dilemma of how to power it without having to install a full Marine electrical system (probable my next winter project). After a little research I found a waterproof 12v car starter pack with a respectable 18000 mAh 12v DC output. Including installing the depth sounder and associated fittings with an inline fuse I was up and running in less than an hour. It is a RoyPow 18000 mAh Heavy duty 800A peak current IP66 rated waterproof car jump starter. They do also sell lower mAh packs. What a great piece of kit. It's about the size of a paperback book and comes with a handy carry case, so is easily unplugged and transported home for recharging. I have used it for about 12 hours on and off and the four bar power indicator still shows four bars. There are also other useful features on it. Sorry I can't seam to load the web link, but it's easily found if your interested. Great for a low consumption power supply for a few days sailing or an emergency back up. Prices vary considerably, but I found a supplier on amazon for about £85. I hope someone finds this as useful as I have .
Mark Donnelly
CC19 Association Member

Re: Light weight power supply to instruments

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Looks a useful bit of kit as emergency backup or to take the load off my main battery.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Return to Instruments and Electrics