CC19 Rally 2016 - Caledonian Canal anyone ???

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

CC19 Rally 2016 - Caledonian Canal anyone ???

Postby Ian Senior » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:23 pm

While the 2015 sailing season is still ongoing I would like to float the idea of a CC19 Rally cruising through the Caledonian Canal in Scotland. Would be great to sail in the company of Cape Cutters voyaging through the Great Glen aboard my Lugger. Let me know your thoughts.
Enjoyed my visit to Suffolk Yacht Harbour near Levington and special thanks to Paul for inviting me for a sail on Sapphire.
Ian Senior
Non Association Member

Re: CC19 Rally 2016 - Caledonian Canal anyone ???

Postby Donald » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:11 am

It could be a challenge launching and recovering 65 miles apart but there is a good bus service between inverness and Fort William. I would prefer some open water sailing, although there are several lochs on the way.
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:44 pm

As far as Im concerned, I think this would be a great location for some cape cuttering. The sailing is varied and scenery interesting. However, I'm not sure I could sell it to my family because of the weather. I go to Scotland every year, but have never taken the boat. The lack of alternative activities for the family if the weather is inclement make it a hard sell. Depends on the time of year, I suppose. Maybe I'd get it past the committee to come on my own...
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 pm

I'd certainly be interested in a Cape Cutter rally in Scotland at some point in future. It's quite a trek for me but has got to me on my 'bucket' list.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Dennis » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:37 am

Paul Turner wrote: It's quite a trek for me but has got to me on my 'bucket' list.

Hello all

It is certainly quite a trek. I have just done a check. Mary Ann stays on Kielder water which is about 5 miles from the Scottish border, yet it is still 260 miles from my mooring to Fort William. On the plus side that is less than half the distance than it was to Mylor last year and 80 miles nearer than Levington. :rolleyes:

Obviously I am interested. :)

I would prefer to add the length of Loch Linnhe onto the expedition starting from (say) the Oban area, this would add about 30 Nm. That would make it the whole length of "The Great Glen". Just a thought.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:04 pm

My voice does not really count as we are not likely to be able to attend a summer event in the UK.... but... I know it has been mentioned on the committee that our current Commodore Mike Brooks has suggested/offered to arrange a Chichester Harbour Cape Cutter week in 2016. This is his home harbour where he started and finished his GB circumnavigation (via Caledonian Canal) with Theo's Future. Mike indicated that if he organises the Chichester Week he would then think it appropriate to stand down as Commodore having done a 2 year stint in this largely honorary post. I am suggesting any other venue plans be put on the table for consideration with Mike's existing offer. I know and am sure there will be no hard feelings if Mike's offer is not taken up, but on the other hand,it is a very good offer and one which could be very helpful in gathering a big group of boats.

I also realise that a Caledonian Canal Rally could fit into a 2016 program in addition to any International Cape Cutter week that does take place....

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:14 am

RE my above post... I have just edited it to say, NO hard feelings if offer of Chichester is not taken up. Anyone who has read this in the last couple of days may have got the wrong impression.... My mistake, appologies, I wanted to say No hard feelings but said the opposite.... SORRY!
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Paul Turner » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 pm

I agree, I wouldn't see this as an alternative to Chichester. Scotland could either be an additional event or one for a future year. It's nearly 600 miles for me but I'm certainly keen to do it one year soon. Chichester on the other hand is a day's sail away. If Dennis can do Falmouth I'm sure I can reach Scotland.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Dennis » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:49 pm

I also see the Caledonian Canal as a separate event. I Expect CCW 2016 to be at Chichester.

I understand that Mike Brooke offered to organise it, which is great, however he never visits the forum and is facebook phobic, so I do see a slight problem. I think he is going to need some help from some of us who are regular users.

Any volunteers?
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 am

CC19 2016 International Rally

If next year’s Rally is still to be termed “International” why not consider Holland?

Holland has a lot to offer for small boats like the Cape Cutter with its relatively protected inland waterways and seas. Areas like the Veerse Meer and the Oosterschelde give large water expanses to explore with plenty of open sailing. There are numerous marinas and islands to visit and picturesque towns to explore.

Veere in the south would make an ideal base and launching venue. By taking the Stena Line ferry from Harwich to The Hook of Holland it would only be a relatively short drive along the picturesque coastal route to Veere. We would probably get ferry discounts as a group.

I towed Whistling Rufus there last year and spent several weeks sailing and cycling around the area and considered it well worth returning. Yes, take a fold-up bike instead of a dinghy which you would not need with all the reasonably priced marinas and town mooring pontoons.

Just a thought!

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Association Events