Heater in a CC19

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Heater in a CC19

Postby Timbre 19 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 am

Hello,
I wonder if anyone have installed a
cabin heater in a CC19?
Regards Jörgen
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Jorgen,

We have used Aurora lots of times at the ends of the season and the options I have tried all have their limitations:

1. Electric fan heater. Noisy. Cuts in and out. Needs a hook up, so no good when at anchor.
2. Convector heater (aka "Frost Heater"). Silent, not as warm; still needs a hook up. This is what we use when we have a hook up. I have made a wooden holder, so that the heater is held up by the centre-plate casing. I got my heater very cheaply from a local hardware shop. Keeps the cabin not exactly toasty but comfortable.
3. Fuel-based heater (e.g. Origo Heat Pal). This does not require a hook up, but I have heard you need good ventilation (doesn't that defeat the purpose of the heater?) and I have not used one because I would worry about carbon monoxide.

The big problem, whatever form of heating you use is condensation. The hull is obviously un-insulated, so you get considerable condensation if the interior is heated. I have found one of the most important bits of kit is a foam camping mat. I place this under the cushions and it makes a massive difference. Oh yes and a nice absorbent sponge to wipe up all the condensation in the morning!

If there are any better ideas, I'm keen to learn!
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Timbre 19 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 am

Hello Charles and thanks for your interesting answer.
The reason I asked is that sometimes under my building I am thinking (dreaming) of a wood-stove. What a feeling it would give! And I think it gives a drier inboard climate.
One of the smallest is the classic "Tiny Tot" for charcoal. The flue do not reach higher than the CC19 Mast Tabernacle. In my album there is a examle picture of
a 24 foot "Misil 2" from the seventees with a factory installed Tiny Tot stove.

Regards Jörgen
#building Timbre
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Wow!! didn't see that idea coming. You're right it would keep everything dry below , and help with the condensation . With a stack above deck , even
a short one you may have problems with the multitude of sheets and halliards. Perhaps you could make a telescopic or removable stack , and just use the heater when moored....where there's a will there's a way.
For myself , I have an oil filled electric heater and a desiccant / electric
dehumidifier ... both requiring shore power. I seldom use them except when the boat is laid up and I want to get everything dry for the winter.
When cruising ...usually two up ....I don't find the boat cold at night and always sleep with the hatch open to reduce condensation. This does mean the hood and boom tent are up....just like camping.
Good luck with the heater idea.....what about an alternative means of propulsion , there's already an inboard , there has been talk of oars /sweeps ...what about steam?
Ian
Minnie (85)
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Timbre 19 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:45 am

Hello Ian and thanks for your response. Yes, it´s a unusual idea but there are stoves to buy so …

Have not decide to install a wood stove but I can not drop the idea yet. So if someone have experiences about this sort of stoves I course want to hear about it. Although it allowed me to beat it out of my mind.
When building I sketch parallel for dimensions and consumption of material (and fun). In my Album there is a simple sketch of my idea with a Tiny Tot Stove in a CC19. Grateful for opinions – for and against. It´s not easy to place a stove in such a small Cabin.

Regards Jörgen
#Building Timbre

2014_12_02 . Add information concerning heater discussion. Found this interesting product. Ouation:
"The Cabin Heater PAN 2000 uses existing LP gas, paraffin/kerosene or spirit stoves as its source of heat. The power-saving fan (0.13A) is connected with 12 V.
Dry warm air circulates within the cabin while exhaust fumes and moisture are led outside the boat through a flexible aluminium hose."

Regards Jörgen
#Building TIMBRE
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Re: Heater in a CC19

Postby Timbre 19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi,
Here comes a picture showing a Stove in a Cape Cutter 19.
Regards Jörgen
# Building "TIMBRE".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Nice job Jörgen! The big advantage to building your own boat is being able to make modifications to suit ones own circumstances.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:52 pm

See Jörgen's updated photo in his picture gallery.

It shows the stove under test.

Very cosy. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Timbre 19 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi, Jörgen here, following text edited 21nov.-21. Had photo+translation problem, new try here.
Have earlier written about mounting a classic Tiny Tot heater in my CC19 "TIMBRE". It was charming but heavy, and two fuels (wood and gas for
the kitchen) gave extra weight. Then got sight of the PAN2000, so practical. Could one build something similar? Found some aluminum scrap in
the garage, and bought a stainless steel dog food bowl (turned it upside down) and a 12V, 0.14A silent fan. An interesting build followed with
premiere spring -18. The heater is nowadays stowed in a bracket next to the kitchen when not in use. The mounting takes a minute.

Temp. in/out raises up to 40 Celsius degrees at max. effect, but are only used at start-up. 1/3 effect is usually enough, a 227gr. gas cartridge
then lasts many hours. By a lever on the kitchen you can break the gas and flame in no time, feels good. Now used four seasons, works great,
and I appreciate the low weight. Not so beautiful as a classic Tiny Tot, but one can rests with closed eyes when the heat flows..

Photos added 2021_12_20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Postby Timbre 19 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:38 am

Hi, Jorgen here. Have finally tested the performance of my previously described home-built gas heater.
The heater is placed on a Primus Gas Kitchen, also used when cooking inside or outside the boat.