Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Pottering at Kielder

Postby Adrian Langford » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 pm

While Dennis has been doing long distance sailing, I've been experimenting with CC63 at Kielder. Had a lovely sail just over a week ago in a light breeze, managing to sail for over an hour without touching the tiller. I didn't even lash it, just used the sails and my own weight to tack and (eventually) gybe her.

She's beautifully balanced and sails so well. My Dad and I hope to get out for an overnighter at Kielder this week, though are currently hatching a plan for a dutch tour this summer.
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Kielder again

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Have just re-launched Mary Ann at Kielder today following her holiday at Mylor.

Had a pleasant sail in the usual challenging conditions, F2 to F0 to F4 plus a 20 minute monsoon. 9 Nm covered.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

At least you'll have washed the salt off her, Dennis :)

I had a sad day yesterday - I sold the Drascombe that I've had for years. I suppose you can have too many toys.

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

A magic day

Postby Dennis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Greybeard wrote: I suppose you can have too many toys.

Not sure about that Steve.:D

Just back from one of those rare, near perfect sailing days on Kielder Water.

Warm, the sun sparkling off the water all day, a good stiff breeze and another CC19 on the water. (The Langfords in #63).

21 Nm covered, magic.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Minnie keeps going North.

Postby ianrmaciver » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Last Tuesday we returned to Minnie , in Whitby Marina , after a couple of weeks of poor weather . Minnie was " dry "..hooray! . Paid the fees , minimum charge is for an 8 metre boat....no discount for a full week , so all in all a bit of a rip off at £21.50 per night.
Leaving on Wednesday meant getting up at 03.30 to catch the last morning bridge lift at 04.30. Good sailing on a beam reach until about 11.00 , when the wind finally gave up and we resorted to the "iron topsail ".
About 8 miles off Seaham we saw a whale....crossed our track and appeared to be shallow diving for fish. Not sure whether it was a Killer Whale or a Minke , but I reported what we saw to a whale spotting website.
Arrived in the Tyne and berthed in Royal Keys Marina at 16.00....43 miles . Manned 24 hours and locking in / out available at all states of the tide.
Thursday provided the best sailing since we left Harwich....F 3/4 Westerly all day. Topped up with fuel at the pontoon and left at 09.30 ....arriving in Amble at 16.00.... 27 miles.
We managed to sneak through the Coquet Chanel just before high water , saving a couple of miles.
Minnie now tucked up in Amble , awaiting the next leg which will include the Farne Islands and Holy Island.
Any thoughts / local knowledge on sailing this area would be welcome, particularly anchorage sites and suitable dinghy landing points.

Ian ( Minnie 85 )
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:46 pm

wow, Ian, sounds like a terrific adventure. I have no knowledge of the area you're sailing in, but looking forward to hearing further exploits
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 am

Hello Ian

Sounds like you are having a great time. I am impressed with the distances you are sailing on each leg. I do hope that you will write up your log so that we can post it on the association website.

I am familier with the Northumberland coast from the land, being a frequent visitor.

There is not much shelter available with most of the coast exposed to weather from the north round to the south east.

North of Amble there is Alnmouth with some shelter, the estuary dries out at low tide. At Embleton Bay there are lovely sands but it is exposed to those east winds. Beadnell Bay is also an excellent sandy beach, at the north end is Beadnell harbour which is sheltered from all directions. Next is Seahouses, which is a working fishing harbour but there are some "pleasure" boats based there. Certainly worth a visit for the fish and chips, and the real ale in "Ye Old Ship Inn".
Lindesfarne (Holy Island) harbour is sheltered, it also dries out. There was a CC19 ("Forget Me Knot") there last time I visited. A must do visit. Excellent NT castle and the Priory.
After that you are at Berwick.

It is worth looking at Google Earth to get a better idea.

Best of luck and please keep us up to date.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks Charles / Dennis ,
Waiting for a weather break , which for me will be wind < F5 from between NW and S . Not keen on this " on de nose " malarkey. Then raise the crew and off we go .
The aim is to shuffle North , as weather and commitments allow until the end of July , then trail back home for some sailing on the East Coast .
Next year , carry on.
Ian ( Minnie 85 )
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Sailing Kielder in company.

Postby Dennis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:06 pm

A good day on Kielder Water yesterday.

Weather was very hot (for these northern parts) at 25C. Unfortunately, the wind was generally light and fickle, at least I got plenty of sunblock application practice.

Sailed in company with Adrian Langford with his CC19, a real pleasure to sail alongside another Capecutter.

Only 12 Nm travelled because of the fickle winds (F0-1 most of the day).

I am waiting for the day we get all five Kielder Water CC19s on the water at the same time. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:18 pm

Dennis wrote:A good day on Kielder Water yesterday.
I am waiting for the day we get all five Kielder Water CC19s on the water at the same time. :D

I'd be happy to be one of just three at the moment. I've spent every evening after work this week chasing woodworm in the dining room floor. So far I've sprayed nearly 70 quids worth of nasty stuff around under the floor, but I reckon I've absorbed about £8.20 worth of it. It'll be years before I go off :rolleyes: Finished re-laying the floor tonight - now the redecorating starts :(
Desperately hoping to get up to Kielder next weekend.

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat