ST 1000 Tiller Pilot

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

ST 1000 Tiller Pilot

Postby peteandfranscott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:37 pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to fit a Raymarine ST 1000 Tiller Pilot to a CC19. Any advice / handy hints enthusiastiaclly received!!
Pete Scott
Avocet - CC19
peteandfranscott
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Hello Pete

To help you I have posted a photo of my Raymarine ST1000 in the "Mary Ann Modifications" album.

The job is really straight forward, you will need a 6" extension for the ram and a bracket for the tiller (if you choose to do the installation the same as I have).

I you want any further details send me a PM (Private message) or e-mail and I will help if I can.

Cheers

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

ST 1000 Mount

Postby Simon Head » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi Pete

I mounted an ST2000 (which is exactly the same as the ST1000 with stronger innards)- its quite an interesting project.:)

If you mount it from the side of the cockpit as I did- the actual postition of the mounting bracket is determined by the lie of the tiller to the horizontal.

This can vary dependent upon the way in which the tiller rests on the rudder- you will need to get a drop bracket from Raymarine (mine was 2" but I actually had it made out of 316 St Stl- it was the same price as the Raymarine aluminium one).

The tiller is chamfered at the factory- it only takes a little change in angle to change the angle that the tiller lies to the cockpit floor (I think that this should be pretty well horizontal).

Ill provide some pictures but its an interesting project to undertake.

It does work very well I have to say.

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Tiller Pilot fixings

Postby peteandfranscott » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks Simon - some pictures would be great.
Pete
peteandfranscott
Non Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Dennis wrote:Hello Pete

To help you I have posted a photo of my Raymarine ST1000 in the "Mary Ann Modifications" album.

The job is really straight forward, you will need a 6" extension for the ram and a bracket for the tiller (if you choose to do the installation the same as I have).

I you want any further details send me a PM (Private message) or e-mail and I will help if I can.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Hope you don't mind giving me a bit of advise on tiller pilots

I'm probably going to buy a Raymarine tiller pilot for fitting over the winter. The ST1000 is the obvious one but the ST2000 is only£35 more. Is it worth buying the stronger one for the sake of an extra £35 (£345 vs £380)

I assume I'll also need to buy a pedestal socket to fit to the deck. These come in 4 different sizes, 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.0" Can you remember what size you bought

Similarly the tiller brackets come in 4 sizes. Any idea which is right one.

Regards

Paul
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby erbster » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Paul,

I keep looking at these, but deciding I'll clip a child to the tiller instead :p

Do either of these models allow a remote control? This may affect your choice.
Dennis found that his outboard interfered with his and he ended up fitting a separate flux gate compass. This might also affect your decision.

They are also famous for leaking, so you'll need to arrange some sort of cover (see http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?403117-2nd-tiller-pilot-has-just-expired).

Make sure you post some photos to show us how you're getting on....
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Hello Paul

When I bought my ST1000+ (2009) the ST2000+ was over £100 more expensive. With a difference of only £35 I would opt for the ST2000+.

I believe that the two units are electronically identical, but differ mechanically. The ST1000+ uses a simple screwed rod and nut to generate the thrust, whereas the ST2000+ uses a recirculating ball mechanism, which is much more efficient.
The ST2000+ will use less power for a given thrust. You can download the manuals for both models from the Raymarine website to make a proper comparison.

If you have read my previous posts on this subject, you will know that my unit suffered magnetic interference from the outboard motor (Honda 5) , as did my Simrad tiller pilot on my last boat fitted with a Yamaha 4.
As Charles has mentioned I got round this problem by fitting a remote fluxgate compass, this of course increases the cost further.
Frank Dierkes (Popeye) had the same problem with his Simrad and a Suzuki outboard.

If you look at my albums you will see that mine is simply mounted, with the supplied bush epoxied into the top of the cockpit coaming. With this arrangement I had to use a thrust rod extension of (I think) 150mm.

Having said all that, I would not be without mine. It gets a lot of use as I am usually sailing solo. It enables me to hold the boat head into the wind (with the motor) to carry out mainsail handling in safety. Of course it also allows me pop down below to put the kettle on etc when under sail. ;)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks Dennis

I'll go for ST2000 as suggested. To start with I'll try it with the built in compass but I expect I'll have the same problems. To be honest I'm less worried about using it under engine. Would be useful for raising and dropping sails obviously but I can manage that reasonably well with the tiller-clutch which I've been using this season. However that's very limited. Like you I sail mainly single handed and enjoy coastal hopping so being able to have a break from helming while sailing will be really useful. I've just done the Solent and back so I was helming for up to 10 hours without a break.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Re: ST 1000 Mount

Postby erbster » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Simon Head wrote:Hi Pete

I mounted an ST2000 (which is exactly the same as the ST1000 with stronger innards)- its quite an interesting project.:)

If you mount it from the side of the cockpit as I did- the actual postition of the mounting bracket is determined by the lie of the tiller to the horizontal.

Simon, which pedestal mount did you use- there seem to be several sizes?

THanks

Charles
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: ST 1000 Tiller Pilot

Postby Simon Head » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:42 am

Hi Charles

I have some pictures on www.Inspiration19.com under modifications

I made the bracket for mounting the tiller pilot out of some 316 st stl I had left over from another job which the mounting socket pressed in.

I also made the bracket that mounts the pin on the tiller out of 316 st stl. However this was a direct copy of the aluminium bracket from Raymarine.

I will find out what the offset of this is- if I can find the old alloy one you can have it. Ill have a look.

Although the ST2000 works well (I even went as far as interfacing it to the Garmin chart plotter I have), after Anglesey I would have a look at the old rope bungy arrangement that Julian and Paul were using to great effect as this would use a lot less power and not be as bulky to store.

After emptying my boat I am having a purge of non essentials. Ive only used the ST2000 a few times so its gone into store. I am going to try the bungy approach as I have a tiller tamer installed but have just used it to hold the tiller from clanging into the gel coat by the rear cleats when at anchor or away from the boat.

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Return to Instruments and Electrics