Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Postby Dennis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 am

Greybeard wrote:The last day was magnificently rounded off by the sight of an osprey taking a sizeable trout and circling over the boat for quite a while with his prize before soaring away.

What do you expect? after all the Osprey had probably never seen a Falcon like yours. ;)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 am

David Peck wrote:Secret Water

Charles, did you actually do a complete circumnavigation of Horsey Island?

David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus

Yes, we did. I had timed the trip to arrive at high water; pretty shallow in places but quite manageable. I had the option of raising the plate, but never needed to.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Three Suffolk Rivers

Postby erbster » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 am

Sailed down the Orwell and out to sea; slow beat to Woodbridge Haven and motored into Deben to Felixstowe Ferry. Picked up a mooring overnight. Early start, a whizz back down the estuary (Max sog 8kts!), followed by a lovely run back to Harwich. Very pleasant 3 sail reach up the Stour and back :)
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

The first days sailing in Falcon

Postby Greybeard » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 pm

As promised, two or three pics of our first tentative meanderings in Falcon on Kielder Water with Dennis. These were taken by Adrian Langford who was single crewed in his Wanderer - and yet he still manages to wield an SLR camera expertly, even with a long lens on it :confused:

And Dennis kept an eye on us

Needless to say, I'm besotted with her :o
Once I get Dennis' pics I must sort out an album

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Greybeard wrote:Once I get Dennis' pics I must sort out an album

DVD with pics and video was posted yesterday. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Fraoch wets her bottom

Postby Runrig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Trailed Fraoch over to Rutland Water for the Easter weekend.
We rigged and launched her for the first time on Friday including a naming ceremony involving Glenfiddich rather than champagne - seemed appropriate for a boat with a Scottish name!
Having the Watersports centre tractor on hand to launch and recover was a great help with so many new things to think about.
Enjoyed a good a sail Friday and Saturday before de-rigging Saturday night ahead of a forecast for a very wet Sunday.
All on board enjoyed the sail (Heather, son James and myself). It has wetted my appetite for the Cape Cutter week in May and I am looking forward to it already
Runrig
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Ipswich to Woodbridge. Beat down the Orwell and through the harbours past the container port of Felixstowe. A run up the coast to Felixstowe ferry for a mooring overnight. A couple a sojourns ashore and a drift down wind with the flooding tide through rural Suffolk in glorious sunshine, to Woodbridge, tide mill marina, on Yankee only (downwind all the way). Saw CC61 "Capers" on her mooring at Waldringfield. We'll do it all in reverse tomorrow....
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Secret Waters

Postby David Peck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:36 am

erbster wrote:Yes, we did. I had timed the trip to arrive at high water; pretty shallow in places but quite manageable. I had the option of raising the plate, but never needed to.

Charles, that could be a first for a Cape Cutter?

I've kept my boat in nearby Titchmarsh Marina for several years now but have never managed to sail completely round, due either to the tides being wrong or fear of being "neaped"! The last southern part (approx. 1/2mile) between Kirby Creek and "The Twizzle" always seems very shallow and ill defined. I often go there to see the orange coloured seals that bask on the exposed mud at low water but always take the safer long route back. I'll possibly try again this year. If you are keeping your boat in the area this summer and go back, perhaps I'll follow you round!

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:43 pm

David Peck wrote:Charles, that could be a first for a Cape Cutter?
:D

Not sure whether my confidence came from foolhardiness or ignorance ;)

We saw seals too. Top spot; I'll be back, but I've got to take the boat home, as I likely won't sail her until the week in Mylor.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Night sail

Postby erbster » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Having motored the Deben end to end (wind on the nose all the way), I had a wonderful night sail from Felixstowe Ferry back to Suffolk Yacht harbour with father in law (helm) and elder daughter. Light winds and wonderful nightfall. Entry into the unlit channel for the marina was interesting though; glad I had done it several times by day!
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat