Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:32 pm

It was damp this morning so did shore based things. After lunch the sun returned, so I left the marina and had a very pleasant hour or so anchored in Falmouth, before taking a lovely sail out into the bay. I'm now anchored at St Mawes. I may have to move up the Percuil if the wind swings back south though.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 pm

A really manky day, so spent the morning shoreside in Falmouth. Then Erbster has a bright idea to go for a BBQ, up a creek, anchored just off a lee shore with an F6 blowing. :D We rafted, but were soon dragging, so split again and motored out of the creek and sailed downwind to Mylor, where the weather was like a different day. We re instigated the BBQ in Mylor Creek, on a spare mooring buoy. It was getting late, and I needed to be back in Falmouth, so I night and drizzle sailed back with a couple of random Erb and Erb family friends children. Quite exciting, but not sure it would have been allowed in term time. ;)
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 am

It was a bit manic yesterday. From Mylor to Turnaware Point with Aurora for a sheltered day at anchor. It was lovely. About 20 mins into the upwind sail back to Falmouth we were hit by the mother of all thunderstorms. It rained like there would be no tomorrow. Vis was sometimes less than 100 metres. It was quite an experience. I'll let Erbster tell you about his yankee. :D
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Great day out on Friday.
Left 0930 and made our way to Porthscatho.
Then back across the bay and anchored up off Meudon beach, sunbathe, fishing and a nap.
Made our way back and tied up at 1630.
Mid 5's most of the way, with the occasional 6.
One reef in the main, stay and yankee. Felt very balanced.
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:49 am

I'm sitting in the rain at Barn Pool in Plymouth, having spent the night at anchor here. We motored down the Tamar from the excellent free slipway at Saltash to watch the British Fireworks Championships (yes, you did read that right!), which involved four spectacular displays.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Kielder Sailing

Postby Dennis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Been out today for the first time this month. (holidays keep interfereing with sailing :()

Good day. intermittently sunny, warm 20ish, wind F0-3 S to W.

19.7 Nm covered, up and down the lake twice.

Full mainsail staysail and yankee all day.

Doesn't get much better really. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Kielder Sailing

Postby Dennis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Had the lake to myself today apart from the NWL ferry "Osprey".

Weather best descibed as "muggy". Spent quite some time hunkered down beneath the sprayhood during the frequent showers, while the boat sailed itself.

Two sightings of (real) ospreys though.

Full mainsail and yankee all day (did not want to get the staysail wet).

17.4 Nm covered.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Aegean sailing - Pelion, Evia, Skiathos

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:53 am

I should make one contribution to this sailing log book as we have enjoyed this our 8th season with Kaliope more than any other... Because we have no electrics I can't feedback much in the way of statistics, boat speed, distances etc... We have sailed 3 times a week this year and since June in our summer harbour of Platanias 5 minutes from home. We have only day sailed our intention to make a passage to Alonyssos did not come off. But our afternoon sails from Platanias out towards Evia or upwind to Skiathos have been wonderful. Kathryn who started off sailing under sufferance now is the one to say, 'do you fancy a sail' or 'I think we should put a reef in' or better still ' can we put the genoa out and go a bit faster'. Yesterday we sailed to Mouse Island and checked on my old Garmin 72 and saw it is 6nm from Platanias. F4 fading away to nothing much at all by early evening. As we sail with our visitors at our rental cottage, it is interesting to note that this year we have sailed with visitors from, UK, Greece, France, Morocco, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Germany, Israel, Macedonia, Romania... and still to come Slovakia, Bosnia ... I think that's it... (Kaliope never works commercially just takes visitors out for fun days, picnics and adventures).....
Enjoy the rest of your season wherever you are, Kaliope and friends.....:)
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

M25

Postby Killick Greenie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Sailed down the Orwell, F3 - F5 nice weather. The only problem was the dinghy racing. It was like the M25 so you can imagine what fun beating down through the 'traffic 'was like. We threw in the towel at Pin Mill and had a lovely reach upriver where we practiced heaving to.
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Kielder Sailing

Postby Dennis » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Just back from the Northumberland Riviera, at least it seemed like it today. :D

Too hot for comfort at times in the cockpit, especially when the breezed vanished. Spent a fair bit of time today just bobbing with all the sails limp. :(

Only 13.8 Nm covered today because of the conditions. It did get up to a F2 for a short time but generally F0-1.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat