Morbihan

For notice of adhoc sails in company

Postby Ru88ell » Sat May 04, 2013 9:06 am

I'm heading off today to get the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry tonight, and hope to be rigged and on the water in Larmour Baden by Sunday evening.

I'll be posting images to http://www.facebook.com/capecutter19 almost as it happens, and blogging each night at http://www.yachtzephyr.wordpress.com provided I can get some wifi or 3G.

I'm really looking forward to meeting up with Stephan and David over there.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am

I thought I'd throw a few thoughts down on this event to help first timers in 2015.

It's an amazing spectacle to be a part of, and the area is fantastic for sailing. The weather could have been a lot kinder; winds were rarely below F4 and often much more. A later Easter would be preferable next time!

I think I would have preferred class 7 bis to 3 bis for the simple reason that more of them lived aboard. In 3 bis most of the crews tied up boats on arrival in port, then were away on land somewhere until next morning. A few times we felt as though we were a boat 'baby sitting service'.

As 'first timers' I felt that some information was lacking. We arrived in some locations and didn't have a clue what to do or where to go. Those 'in the know' seemed to cut the route short or set off early to be sure of getting the best spots on the calmest buoys - then just leave their boats there whilst live aboards were tossed around on moorings in the strongest streams.

Toilet and shower facilities were quite rare. We managed just one shower in the week! Some ports were miles away from any shops, so you really needed to keep up your food stocks just in case.

The ramp at Arradon was the best we came across, and the one we recovered from, having been craned in at Larmor Baden. It was a good as any I've seen anywhere so far, with a slope just right for us, and with a pontoon alongside. The hose has great pressure and fits our hub wash kits perfectly.

It was great to meet up with David Peck, which we did at Portsmouth on the way out. We moored together quite a few times, and finally split as the M27 divided East or West on the return. We saw Stephan a few times.

A lot of people made nice comments about our boats, and I hope Bob gets some enquiries.

I wouldn't say I'm a definite for 2015 - more of a 'maybe'.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri May 17, 2013 11:38 am

Here's a short video of us crossing the 'Berder gap' last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70YTtahdLA
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello Russell

I notice from your blog that you were moored alongside a Winkle Brig.

A fantastic little pocket cruiser, I loved mine. Great fun to sail, but no match for a CC19.

Where it does beat a CC19 though is in the amount of space it offers down below, especially for a boat of it's size. (16 feet on deck, 20 feet inc. bowsprit)

How it manages this trick is having no compression post and no centreboard casing. What a difference that makes.
The vertical mast load is taken by a (wooden) beam across the cabin front and it has twin lifting keels which rise into casings fitted under the forward end of the quarter berths.

The boat has a full internal moulding and lots of internal timber to give a cosy feel.

The volume between the internal moulding and the hull is filled with foam, making the boat unsinkable.

I have fond memories, I may not have been so happy though if I had to sail one against a CC19, just no contest! :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Morbihan Week 2023

Postby c.amirkhanian » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:09 pm

Hello
After 2 years of COVID and 1 Brexit, the Semaine du Golfe is back in May 2023 !
Looking through the list of pre-registered boats in flotilla 3bis I have noticed "Whistling Rufus". I intend to take part in the event with "One Toe Too" and hope many CC19 will cross the channel.

I have attached the program anf the URL is

https://www.semainedugolfe.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christian

CC19 n°122 "One Toe Too"
c.amirkhanian
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Adhoc Social Sails