Anyone want a mast crutch?

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Anyone want a mast crutch?

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:35 pm

On my recent trip over to Cherbourg in a Cornish Yawl I was impressed with having access to a mast crutch to stop the boom flailing about all over the place whilst motoring or at anchor. It's far better than I'm able to lash it down with the mainsheet or other rope. I've set out to make one.

I've put some images in my Zephyr album of the work in progress template which I've made today out of plywood. I'm going to ask a local joiner to make the final version for me our of iroko to match the rest of the timber on Zephyr. Would anyone else want one? It may work out cost effective to make a batch of them.

I'm proposing to protect the hull by gluing a shoe in the corner where the seat meets the transom. This will spread any load, and retain the foot of the crutch itself. I've made the one show longer than needed as I may mount a GPS sensor there out of the way. The final version will fit a bit better, and have rounded edges.

Does anyone want a grating whilst I'm at it? I can guarantee that they won't be anything like the £750 required by HM. There's a picture of mine in the album too.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm

I'd be interested, Russell. Where are you planning to stow the crutch when underway?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 pm

erbster wrote:I'd be interested, Russell. Where are you planning to stow the crutch when underway?

Possibly in my new coaming cupboard. ;)
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:03 am

Russell,
I am just going through the process of rigging Minnie for the first time...on a trailer...and a mast crutch would be a help. Have you any dimensioned drawings of the crutch you describe....and any advice on use.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 am

Ian

I had two sets made up for Erbster and me, but don't have any here at home. I wanted them to be wide, and therefore stable, and not putting a point load anywhere. I surmised that the cockpit seat/transom corner would be a strong place to take the loadings, and my 'feet' are hand shaped to fit quite neatly and held with adhesive. The crutch itself is something like 6cm x 2cm in section, and long enough to give me enough height for easy access through the companionway. The tops are rounded, and long enough to let me hang the hanked main sheet. The bottoms are stepped to locate into the feet.

It takes just a minute either way to put in place or remove. I've also added a small length of rope with which to raise the tiller high and out of the way.

I don't use it for rigging though, only when at anchor, alongside or motoring a fair distance.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks Russell, I've had a look at your blog photo's , and should be able to knock up a serviceable unit.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical