Fixed DSC vhf Cabin or Cockpit

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Fixed DSC vhf Cabin or Cockpit

Postby ianrmaciver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I have a vhf with built in AIS to fit to Minnie.
The AIS information is displayed on the radio screen, and it is possible to "click on" and direct radio a ship, consequently I plan to install in the cockpit.
The radio is rated as "waterproof to 1 metre for 30 mins" . My concern is UV protection , as there is no cover, and security.
I see that Aurora has a cockpit fitted radio , has this been ok , and how do you protect from UV.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Auroral and Zephyr have cockpit mounted VHF sets. Mine, and Icom, is certainly designed to be fitted in the cockpit, or on the console of a rib. It's flush mounted, so to remove it would be difficult without access to the cabin.

If you're particularly worried, make a friction hold cover in thin plywood for when the boat isn't in action.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Roof mounting

Postby SimonW » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:56 am

Just posted a picture of VHF mounted on cabin roof offset to port near hatch under 'ideas'. This was Mike Brookes boat and it keeps the radio accessible/visible from the cockpit, but not in the way. Fist mike was mounted on a swing board across the companionway, but could easily be mounted on the main hatch handles or elsewhere.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks Simon, That's an interesting approach. It's even the same manufacturer. Mine came without a cover , I'll check if this was an oversight or whether it's an extra.
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Aurora only had her radio fitted this spring and no problems so far. I have experience of radios on RIB consoles (dive boat) and they seem to last pretty well. The weak points are where the electrical contacts are, and these are all safety in the dry on Aurora, so I think the head unit will not be a problem. I think the trouble is likely to come from the antenna deck connections.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks Charles , my main concern was UV exposure , but if I can source a cover like the one shown on Simon's picture it should be fine. I've got a Bulgin Buccaneer weatherproof deck connector coming so fingers crossed.
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Return to Instruments and Electrics