Deck plugs- SA vs UK boats

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Deck plugs- SA vs UK boats

Postby erbster » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I am in the process of fitting mast head lights and a VHF aerial. I notice on Zephyr (SA built boat), there is clearance under the mast for the cables to run out and there is room on the deck in front of the tabernacle for the deck sockets. This means that the cables can emerge into the cabin in front of the compression post and can be run in obstructively through the cupboards.

On my (UK built) boat, the gap at the bottom of the mast is too small for the cables to emerge without pinching. Also, the gap between the base of the Samson post and the hatch is too small to accommodate the deck sockets. Therefore the tidiest option is to run drill a downward angled hole in the front of the mast to lead the cable out and site the deck sockets alongside the Samson post and use a length of trunking on the interior coach roof to run the cables.

Option 1: http://www.capecutter19association.org/forum/album.php?albumid=53amp;pictureid=574

Alternative: http://www.capecutter19association.org/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=575

Is this an actual difference between UK and SA boats?
Anyone got any alternative suggestions?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Ladybird is a SA boat.
I have posted an old photo but will take a better one tomorrow.
We have room under the mast for the cables as well. There are deck penetrations/sockets and plugs in front of the tabernacle for mast lights, VHF antenna and solar panel feed.
Ian
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 pm

On Mary Ann (HM 2008) I bring the aerial and nav light cables out of the forward side(?) of the mast. I use Bulgin Buccaneer connectors for both cables.

The cables are then lead through the drain hole on the side of the companionway hatch garage and then through the deck at the forward end of hatch opening. As this is under the hatch garage (on the centreline) no gland is required.

The cables are then run in trunking (inside the cabin) across the cabin top into the (port) cupboard. You can see the trunking in a couple of photos in "Mary Ann Modifications" album
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks for the replies.

X-man: that's what I had planned to do, but the sockets not fit on my boat.

Dennis wrote:On Mary Ann (HM 2008) I bring the aerial and nav light cables out of the forward side(?) of the mast. I use Bulgin Buccaneer connectors for both cables.

The cables are then lead through the drain hole on the side of the companionway hatch garage and then through the deck at the forward end of hatch opening. As this is under the hatch garage (on the centreline) no gland is required.

The cables are then run in trunking (inside the cabin) across the cabin top into the (port) cupboard. You can see the trunking in a couple of photos in "Mary Ann Modifications" album

I saw the trunking but didn't realise you'd avoided the need for a gland.

I have bought bulgin connectors but was offered "superseal" connectors which are much smaller, ip rated and designed or repeated connection and disconnection. If I can route the cables without glands then I could use these.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm

x-man12345 wrote:Ladybird is a SA boat.
I have posted an old photo but will take a better one tomorrow.
We have room under the mast for the cables as well. There are deck penetrations/sockets and plugs in front of the tabernacle for mast lights, VHF antenna and solar panel feed.
Ian

Thanks for the pic. http://www.capecutter19association.org/forum/album.php?albumid=52&pictureid=576

Can't do that on my HM boat.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 am

Your options depend on your ability to accept trunking or not. I wasn't. I stripped Zephyr of plastic trunking on the ceiling and re-wired so I wouldn't need any. My mast cables run in a brown trunking stuck to the forward side of the compression post, so can't be seen unless in that bunk.

You could get a slim gland and run cables through, then use connectors above that.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes, I wanted to avoid trunking if possible. I think I will investigate gland and floating connector, rather than deck socket.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri May 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I think popeye's solution of having a connector on the mast itself is a good one

http://www.capecutter19.biz/forum/album.php?albumid=26&pictureid=178
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Drilling into the mast

Postby erbster » Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Anyone got any advice about drilling into the mast to pull the cables (VHF and twin core for LED mast light) out of the front or side of the mast base? Feeling a bit nervous about how easy it will be to pull the existing string out through the new hole.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Nick Martin » Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 pm

I managed it without much trouble .. (for lights only - no VHF) drilled at a slight upward angle at front just below tabanacle bolt ( so I wouldn't snap the connection if I forgot to disconnect before lowering mast! ) ... it was easy to pull a thin wire up through the new hole with a a little hook of stiffer wire
Nick Martin
Non Association Member

Next

Return to Instruments and Electrics