NASA LED anchor light

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Black Sheep wrote:Hi CC sailors,
Indeed the guys at NASA in the UK were most cooperative and fixed the problem by replacing the pcb (CC104

Hello Michel

Everything (including the LEDs) is soldered to the PCB. If they have replaced the PCB, they have basically given you a new unit. :)

Well done NASA.

I am pleased that the problem is resolved.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: NASA LED light

Postby Justin Greig » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Subject: NASA LED anchor light

Dennis wrote:I noticed earlier in the season that only every other LED was lit. I subsequently removed it from the mast and investigated.

I discovered that the circuit was arranged so that if one LED was defective half of the remainder would remain operational (a good safety feature). I replaced the defective LED and left the unit operating (on the workbench) for 24 hours.

apologies for resurrecting a rather antique thread, but it may help with one of my winter projects - the NASA Tricolour that came with Peggy has never worked. It seems water has got inside so it may be fried but I'd like to investigate. The only problem is I can't work out how to open it up. Dennis' post from 7 years ago suggests there is a way of opening it up without destroying the plastic. Can anyone give me a steer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Re: NASA LED anchor light

Postby Dennis » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am

Hello Justin

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a screw on the top, in the centre holding the unit together. I think I peeled back the label on the top to gain access to it.

I no longer have that unit, I replaced it with a NASA combi anchor and tri-light at the beginning of this year. This was because the (home made) anchor light I had mounted on top of NASA unit was cracking due to UV degradation after 12 years of constant exposure.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: NASA LED anchor light

Postby Justin Greig » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:34 pm

thanks Dennis - found the screw!
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Instruments and Electrics