Which gps navigation system

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Which gps navigation system

Postby David Hudson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

In my time offshore Loran C was about all that was available but not allowed in competition.

I would appreciate guidance through the various hardware / software options. I have GPS
and a compatible laptop on an NMEA 0183 system.

Regards
David on Tokoloshe
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 am

Hi David

I am a great fan of Memory Map.

They offer this unit.
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurerGPS/index.php/adv3500.html

with an option of a unit pre loaded with a full set of UK charts. I use these on my laptop as well. It is IPX7 waterproof.

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Loox N560 pda with Memory Map loaded which basically does what this one does but is a bit long in the tooth- it is over 5 years old, and is not waterproof (I use an Otter box with it) and the screen is not brilliant- I may upgrade to this as a "Winter Refit" treat!

The great beauty with these devices is that you can load the OS 1:50K and 1:25K maps. This is ideal if you want to explore once at your destination, ideal for remote Scottish Islands!

The Iphone also has Navionics maps available- I also have these but have not used them

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Simon

I followed on your suggestion. I had picked out Memory Map as my preferred software package.

Not having the required hardware, (Garmin etc), I then looked to using a netbook attached to my Tacktick
NMEA system and shortlisted C-Map for the purpose. My bigger sailing brothers use C-Map and the price
matched the cost alternative of aquiring more hardware.

I have bought C-map's UK and Ireland chart set which appears cost effective when compared with
individual charts.

Many thanks for your help.

Now tell me about tiller auto helms please!

Regards
David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Tiller Pilots

Postby Simon Head » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi David

Depends what camp you fall into.

Some prefer Raymarine ST1000 or ST2000 or Simrad ST10/22. There are reports about the reliability of both but I have had my ST2000+ for 5 years now and it has not failed (although to be fair it has not been used that much as I generally sail with a crew- my wife and kids who trim the forward sails and keep me fed and watered!). I bought it at a London boat show- it was about £100.00 more expensive than the ST1000 but INCLUDED the remote (I found out later this had been a mistake on Raymarines behalf!)- great as you can steer the boat, if you feel inclined, from the anchor well!

I wanted the ST2000 as it was the same size as the ST1000 but is better made as the actuating arm has a stronger operating mechanism (I evaluated from an Engineering perspective!)

I think that the Simrad units are directly interchangeable.

You will have to buy an extension and a tiller drop. I think I posted some pictures of my installation in my picture folder.

I went for a custom approach- all of my installation is made from 316 stainless steel- not available from Raymarine. I had all the bits made cheaper than buying the official aluminium bits from Raymarine.

The unit can be intergrated into a GPS via NMEA but I have not done that just using the onboard flux compass which works fine.

I have mine mounted from the port side of the boat- you have to change the orientation of the unit from the default as it is designed to be installed from the starboard side. I cannot rember how this was done but is pretty simple.

I think Dennis has installed one as well.

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Hello David and Simon

Simon is correct, I do have a Raymarine ST1000 on Mary Ann. I also had a Simrad on my previous boat, which was very similar.

The Raymarine ST1000 works well when sailing, however it is affected by the outboard (Honda BF5) when running, which causes it to hunt constantly. It does however still hold its course unless the engine is running slowly, which causes large wild and varied tiller movements.

I have to say that the Simrad did exactly the same thing with the Yamaha 4 I had on the Winkle Brig, but it did behave itself with an old Mariner 4 (two stroke).

I think the problem is caused by the rotating mass of the flywheel fitted with magnets (for the ignition system), interfereing with the fluxgate compass in the tiller pilot. At higher engine speeds the fluxgate compass does not have time to react to the rapidly changing magnetic field caused by the engine rotation, but at low engine speeds it can (and does).

To sum up, when under sail there is no problem with Simrad or Raymarine, however, when motoring there may be various problems.

I would be interested to hear the experiences of others with tiller pilots.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Thank you both for your advice.

I follow what Simon means about the differing spec's between the ST1000
and 2000: the '2000 having a more robust re-circulating ball drive mechanism.

The STR2000 seems the more attractive choice despite the extra cost and probable over
engineering on a Cutter. I've now have to justify the cost and that is very much use
based consideration.

I've already pushed Christmas as far as I dare but who knows!

Regards
David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Return to Instruments and Electrics