Yamaha Engine

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Yamaha Engine

Postby Julian Porter » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:13 am

I’m looking to put a new engine into Grace. Has anyone any advice on the suitability of using a Yamaha 5hp?
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Yamaha Engine

Postby erbster » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:14 am

If the leg length is correct, it should be fine. Aren’t Yamahas similar to mariners? If so, I know of a mariner used in a cc. Quiet engine, as I recall.

Charles Erb CC19 #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: Yamaha Engine

Postby Julian Porter » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Mariner, Mercury and Tohatsu use the same block for the 5hp. Yamaha is different. I will have one dropped in the well later to check the size. All the local mechanics speak very highly of the way they are engineered.
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm

I'd echo the above sentiments. Build quality of the Yamahas is excellent. I have a 4hp and a 2.5hp for my Whammel, and whilst not the lightest of engines for their size they feel reassuringly well built. The 4hp came with the boat and is now 10 years old yet it still looks and runs like a new motor. I got the 2.5hp simply because a 4hp wasn't needed on Kielder and the smaller engine is easier to man-handle out of the boat.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:23 pm

About three years ago I replaced our 8HP Honda by a 6HP Yamaha (F6CMHS) with an additional 12V/6A output. I replaced the propeller with a 3X7-1/4 X6-1/2 one, Yamaha P/N 6E0459490000.

For me this is the perfect engine, light weight, not noisy and a good starter. I'm running it on Aspen 4 (https://www.aspenfuels.com/products/alla/aspen-4/)
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Stephen Foyle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:55 am

Blue Moon came with a 5hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Just collected it yesterday from the marine mechanic after a service. He has been working on marine engines of all types throughout his long career and he was full of praise for this Yamaha outboard.

I find it very light and importantly, the boat probably sails better. Like Bert,I use Aspen fuel which definitely improves those nasty 2 stroke fumes. However I do find the 2 stroke obtrusively noisy especially when motoring in a river valley. The engine well does magnify the noise but am very interested in Bert’s comment that his 6hp is quiet. Have been thinking of buying a four stroke but was not sure of the relative noise reduction. I would definitely buy Yamaha again, it is the engine of choice amongst many working watermen if they can stretch to the extra money.

Stephen CC Blue Moon
Stephen Foyle
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:01 pm

The new (2016) Yamaha 6ph (1cyl 4stroke) is as quiet as my old (2001) Honda 8HP (2cyl 4stroke) but has some more vibrations.

I changed from the Honda to the Yamaha because of the weight and the drag, as the weight is close to the transom and the drag reduces the speed under sail. The dynamics in waves while sailing (especially pitch) are much better with the more lightweight engine.
The Honda has the exhaust via the propeller, so the diameter of the hub is large. These gives more drag while under sail.

The fuel consumption of the Yamaha ( less then 1 ltr per hour) is also lower. But given the number of hours that we are using the engine this aspect is not that important.
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Stephen Foyle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Thank you Bert. Do you recommend the 6hp over the 5hp ? Am undecided, moored in a strong tidal estuary with currents regularly reaching 3- 4 knots. The 5hp 2 stroke handles this fine . Usually only use the engine for very short periods but you never know when might be needed for extended periods while offshore. There appears to be just a kilo of weight difference if the tech specifications are to be believed. Anyone else any thoughts on this? Is there a consensus that a 4 stroke is much quieter?

Stephen, Blue Moon
Stephen Foyle
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm

The Yamaha 4, 5 and 6 HP are the same engines (139cc, 1cyl, 4 stroke). I suppose they make different power-ratings by different carburetors. On our CC19 6HP is sufficient to cruise at 4 knots and to raise, lower or reef the sails in a 6Bft situation. The speed drops to about 3 knots in more then 4Bft on the IJsselmeer, waves between 60cm and 1m.

I found two articles about choosing an outboard:

https://purserclub.com/9.html

https://purserclub.com/20.html

Years ago I've had a 3.5hp Yamaha, aircooled / 2stroke. Then you know what they mean by a noisy outboard! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sdbHw1au5s (not my movie!)
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Stephen Foyle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks Bert, useful articles. I reckon it is probably best to have the power to help get out of tricky situations where a smaller engine might struggle. The 6hp Yamaha is still a single cylinder engine,must hear one running before buying to make sure it is appreciatively quieter.Other than that i have no doubts about buying one. Thanks for your help.

Stephen
Stephen Foyle
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Everything about Engines