electric outboards

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

electric outboards

Postby oak » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Has anyone had experience of the Epropulsion electric outboard.This is a new rival to Torqeedo which looks very interesting.I don't want it for Merlin but am considering one of that ilk for another boat.
I know some of our members have to use electric on the reservoirs.
Oak
Merlin
oak
CC19 Association Member

Re: electric outboards

Postby erbster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 am

I've no experience, but I'm interested too. I'd like an electric outboard to tour a tender in the river.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 pm

How big is the tender.The torqeedo has 2 smaller units than the Epropulsion but they seem to give quite a few problems.There is a discussion on Bayrider forum.
Any chance Charles of those dimensions for the boom support?
Oak
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello gents

I use a cheap and cheerful electric outboard on my tender.

It is (from memory, I am currently on holiday in Scotland) a Sunsport 32. It has 32 lbs thrust and consumes 26 amps on full power. It weighs 7 Kg I power it with a 26 AH 12v battery (weight also 7 Kg) which runs for 30 minutes at full power before the volts start to reduce noticeably.

It cost me £105 5 years ago.

It pushes my tender (and me) along at 2.5 Kts, which is faster than I can row it. :D

Hope this helps
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Black Sheep » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

Hi,
My CC19 has electric propulsion since 2009, still using the same Torqeedo 77 Ah lithium battery. The first year I tried a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 but that one broke down 3 times due to the fact that the passive propellor motion during sailing was obviously too much, either electronically or mechanically. Of course for tender applications (or for sailing boats where you can remove the engine out of the water this will not be a problem). But apart from that, the Torqeedo is very noisy. So I switched to an Elva 1100 engine (AEE Marine) which I am using till date with the same lithium battery. These electric outboards are very quiet, robust and widely used for rentals in our country and have an excellent track record indeed. For a CC19 an ELVA 1100 engine is a little bit underpowered so I would recommend in retrospect to fit an Elva 1800.
Needless to say that at sea an electric outboard is rather useless due to range limitations, so only in those cases I use my 5 hp four stroke petrol engine.
Kind regards,
Michel
(Black Sheep)
Black Sheep
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Wed May 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks for that Michel
I had looked at AEE boats before but I missed the outboard section.The main disadvantage for me is that I want to use this on a 12 ft clinker sailing dinghy and it is quite heavy,25 kg as opposed to the Suzuki 2.5 hp at 13 kg.
Jack
Merlin
oak
CC19 Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines