4hp

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

4hp

Postby Sayla » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 am

Hi I'm new to the forum

I've been considering whether or not a 4hp (?honda) would move a cc19 along. I know it's less than the recommended but I've noticed threads about using 5hp (only one more), and in this state a boat that uses a 4hp doesn't even have to be registered.

Any thoughts

Sayla
Sayla

4hp

Postby oak » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Hello Sayla,
welcome to the association.
there is a lot of comments on engines on the Yahoo cape cutter site.

How would the authorities know the engine size as the overall dimensions on the 4,5,and 6hp engines are the same for most manufacturers.Just a question of putting the right number sticker on the unit.
If I was sailing on the sea I personally go for a higher horsepower but we will see what other owners have to say.
have you acquired a cape cutter yet?
Oak
"Merlin"
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Sayla » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for the reply
I didn't know that the engines were the same physical size - the higher horsepower seems wiser, but not paying for registration seems pleasant too

I haven't yet acquired a Cape Cutter. I'm looking at building one in plywood - currently it's very much at the top of my list of boat designs to suit our needs

Sayla
Sayla

4HP 4 stroke engines

Postby Simon Head » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi

Oaks right

The 6hp mariner 4 stroke is the same size (123cc) as the 5hp, and 4hp- its just jetted differently.

I have had a 5hp on my CC from new- always starts first time.

Mariner do a sail drive on the 4hp which includes a charging coil and high thrust propeller. A 4 hp will drive the CC at hull speed but really depends upon where you sail- if you have stronger tides the 6hp would be better. With the mariner engines you could just change the cover (but these are expensive unless you can just get hold of the stickers).

The mariner 4 strokes is also sold under the guise of Tohatsu and Mercury- so you could get a cheaper Tohatsu- but its EXACTLY the same innards as the Mariner/Mercury engine- you are just paying for the name.

I wished I knew this before I purchased my "Mariner"!

Regards

Simon Head
CC40 Halcyon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines