What outboard to buy

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:06 pm

I've just sold my 2003 Yamaha 4hp on eBay. It was £600 new according the paperwork I have, and it sold for £410. :D

I've ordered a Mariner 6hp too. My excuse is that it'll be safer when I'm doing my Stourport to Falmouth via the Isles of Scillies trip.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

6HP Mariner

Postby x-man12345 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Good choice Russell.
We are very happy with ours.
Hope Falmouth Yacht Brokers quoted you a good price.
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am

Happy with my Honda 5hp, which is a 2006 model I bought last year. Clucked away nicely for several hours this weekend and easily stemmed 3kts of tide at the mouth of Porthmadog harbour.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 pm

The Mariner is a great choice.

Ive had mine for 10 years now- always starts first time. I know Dave Peck had problems with his but its a great engine.

The 4,5,and 6 hp models use the same block- the only difference is the jet in the carb.

Note the Tohatsu models are exactly the same engine- they are badged engineered, a bit like some cars.

The Mariner always sells at a higher price though and I think that the service cover in the UK is better.

Mine has a sail drive prop- gives it a bit more oomph- once stopped me from getting sucked into the Gulf of Corryvreckan with full sail up!

Kind regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Through exhaust or not

Postby SimonW » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:08 pm

I am pondering outboards and was going for a Yamaha 6 given my previous experiences with the make and the benefit that if I take it off, it can be laid down on three sides.

Points against were that it sits higher in the cockpit although does fit. The exhaust is not through prop.

I noticed that the Mercury/Mariner exhaust is through prop and wondered if anyone has used both engines and had a view on relative noise levels?

I have only used the Yamaha and it seemed OK.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I have the Mercury 6, which is the same as the Mariner. I think it sits lower than the Yamaha 4 it replaced - and it's certainly a lot quieter. I have the high thrust prop which makes it much more controllable in close quarters. Having the gear lever on the front is good too.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm

SimonW wrote:I am pondering outboards and was going for a Yamaha 6 given my previous experiences with the make and the benefit that if I take it off, it can be laid down on three sides.

Hello Simon

I did consider a Yamaha 6 when I was fitting out Mary Ann (2008/9). I had a Yamaha 4 on my previous boat.

After some very careful measuring I concluded that the anti cavitation plate would not fit through the hole in the boat. :mad:

Is the current model the same? The 6 was a twin cylinder motor when I was looking.

It may be possible for Bob to make the hole larger in your boat!

I eventually opted for a Honda 5, I do not regret it. Excellent starter, very economical and quiet ( providing that you block the small exhaust hole in the power leg ).:D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Hello Simon

My last post may be a load of rubbish! :(

I may be confusing Yamaha with Honda.

Either way, check very carefully the dimensions of the power leg particularly the size of the anti-cavitation plate.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks Russell and Dennis.

The attraction of the Merc/Mariner is the slightly lower mounting and the through prop exhaust. All of the Yamahas have the same size cavitation plate, so shouldn't be an issue.

The engine bit taxing the grey stuff now is about the lack of any facility to lift the engine when moored. and the consequences of leaving it in.

I have managed to get a pontoon for the short term with the option of shore power. Its salt water and weeding is medium, boat will be copper coated.

In theory leaving the outboard leg in shouldn't be a problem from weeding provided that it is anti fouled. However I am more concerned about any galvanic action, especially if I connect the battery to shore power through a CTEK conditioner/charger, but I am not sure if I fully understand the issues.

I obviously could lift the engine out each time and lock it in the cabin, but even with a stop off the boom it would be a real pain. If removed from the fixed mount I suspect it would be hard to get insurers happy with it just padlocked to an eye in the bottom of the cockpit.

It would be good to hear from anyone who keeps a boat permanently in the briny as to their experience.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 pm

SimonW wrote:
However I am more concerned about any galvanic action, especially if I connect the battery to shore power through a CTEK conditioner/charger, but I am not sure if I fully understand the issues.

I'm assured this is only an issue if you have the engine wired for charging. If it stands alone then you are safe.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Everything about Engines