New owner! Engine info required.

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Postby Dennis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Hello again Jack

I have had a look at the Yahoo Forum. There are photos of "Adept" and "Findus" fitted with Suzuki outboards.

Hope this helps

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:20 pm

well Dennis,just had a lovely sail in force 3, blue skies and not one other person in sight!Water in Ireland must be one of the most under utilized resources there is.
I think the SA boats had higher tillers than HM,anyway at your suggestion I looked at that whilst tootling along ,there is plenty of room about 4 or 5 ins above my Mercury.
will have a look at the old Yahoo forum.
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Dennis ,our replies crossed.You must have very good eyesight to see a Suzuki on Findus but there does not seem to be a problem fitting the unit
Jack
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 am

Hello Jack

There is nothing better than a F3, blue skies, and no one else in sight. That is what it is all about.
I am frequently the only boat out on Kielder Water apart from the "Osprey" the tourist ferry. Some of the boats never ever seem to leave their moorings. I think it is true that the larger the boat the less it is used.

With regard to "Findus", the Suzuki outboard is quite clear if you use the "LARGE" option when viewing the photos. I find this useful when looking at details on a photo. It is a feature which would be useful on this forum (how about it Simon?).

Did you check the Outboard Database on Yahoo?. Findus was the first entry.

Heres to more blue skies and clrear water

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:10 pm

one learns something every day ,Dennis.
I don't think I have ever looked at the database before or if I have it was so long ago I have forgotten.
I have also learnt to increase the size of the photos! but I still would not swear to read the word Suzuki
Did you read on the YM forum about the move to ban boats with engines near the shore in Ireland.should hone up a few sailing skills
Jack
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Hello Jack

Quote: "Did you read on the YM forum about the move to ban boats with engines near the shore in Ireland.should hone up a few sailing skills"

It should prove interesting for the ferries:rolleyes:

Cheers

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Suzuki Outbord Engine

Postby popeye » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Jack,

I have fitted a 4 Hp Suzuki 4 stroke Engine on "Katrina". It works very well. Concerning the space between the tiller and the Engine cover I think there are approx. 100 mm at my HM hull.
Btw, at the picture "swim ladder" you can see the tiller and the fuel cap, but I will take some pictures at the weekend which shows this area in more detail and provide these in "Katrina's" album.
The main advantage of this engine in my opinion is the fold-away gas peen. It can be used in vertical position and this keep the cockpit clear.
If you need moore space between the engine cover and the tiller maybe you can shorten the mounting bracket.
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Frank for the advice on the engine.
I finally bought a Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu 6hp four stroke.
I have read that the stated power outputs by the manufacturers are widly optimistic but SWMBO just would not tolerate the fumes from my 2 stroke.although these are lighter and I believe more powerful for stated hp.
I will keep the other engine to add to the clutter in the boat shed.

I also had a look at your pictures.
when do you use the snap shackles on the bowsprit shrouds.?
I need to lower my mast on occasions,I tried rigging screws but I could not find any with sufficient length to take up the slack when the bowsprit was raised to act as a fulcrum for the mast lowering so I am back to lashings as I like to tighten bowsprit shrouds during the operation.hope you can follow that.

I will put up a picture of my lazy jacks which seem much simpler.Not my design but from the previous owner.
great to get different ideas

Jack
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby popeye » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:03 pm

oak wrote: ...when do you use the snap shackles on the bowsprit shrouds.?...

I use it for quick release of the bow side bowsprit shroud when I to haul inbord the bowsprit completely.

oak wrote: ...,I tried rigging screws but I could not find any with sufficient length to take up the slack when the bowsprit was raised to act as a fulcrum for the mast lowering so I am back to lashings as I like to tighten bowsprit shrouds during the operation...

That's the second reason I use this because I want to carry out the right length of the lashing only once and if she lies on the trailer. I have measured and mediated the gap between the bowsprit shrouds and the hull fittings during I fixed the lashings. Never touch it again since then.
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Re: New owner! Engine info required.

Postby Johanna » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:46 pm

Hi Folks

In 2010 I posted here about my new (to me) Cape Cutter and outboard engine. I bought a Marina 6PH 4 stroke and it has been great. The service charge last year was over £500 though as I keep it in the water all year round and this doesn't help it.

I'm considering a new Marina 6HP 4 stroke - same engine again.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Have things changed in 14 years?

It's short shaft we need isn't it? I can't remember!

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Johanna. Cape Cutter in Torbay, Devon (used to be based in Plymouth).
Johanna
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Everything about Engines