6hp engine upgrade

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

6hp engine upgrade

Postby Matthew L » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:18 pm

I’m thinking of upgrading from my tohatsu 4hp to a 6hp maybe Yamaha just wondered opinions on best outboard for our cape cutters tohatsu/mariner/Mercury (these essentially the same) or Yamaha or Honda, and sail drive prop or not. Thanks Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matthew L
CC19 Association Member

Re: 6hp engine upgrade

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi Matt, I started with a Honda 5hp and after 10 years changed to a Mercury 6hp with a sail drive prop. I have occasionally used a Yamaha 4 that I have as a spare. They all have pros and cons. I don't see major differences but am happy with my Mercury and the high thrust prop. They are all noisy if I want to make 5knots, but at 3.5 knots the Mercury is on little over tick over and it is acceptable. I frequently sail on and off my mooring and I am mostly a day sailor therefore my engines have very little use save for the odd occasion when I am making a passage and have to press on to reach my destination. Have I answered your question? Probably not, but I really think there is little to choose between the popular small outboards.

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: 6hp engine upgrade

Postby zimp » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 pm

I replaced about 5 years ago a 8hp Honda with a 6hp Yamaha (F6CMHS) with a 7-1/4 X 6-1/2 propeller (Yamaha pn 6E0459490000). I'm happy with this engine, sufficient power, less drag while sailing compared to the Honda and not very thirsty. I use Aspen 4 alkylate petrol.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines