Trailer service

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Trailer service

Postby Rob Purnell » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am

HI, I am just getting my trailer overhauled as it has sat for about 6 years. My mechanic has told me there are disc brakes on the trailer and he is struggling to find a matching new set. I am not sure if the trailer is an original CC19 variety, I think it is. Do any of you out there have any information on this. Many thanks Rob.
Rob Purnell
CC19 Association Member

Re: Trailer service

Postby Julian Porter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:25 pm

This is a South African trailer like mine. About half the handbook is devoted to the trailer! There are schematics of the brakes. Before throwing any money at it check that the torsion bearings still hold the boat up relative to the wheels when the boat is sat on it. With mine the distance between the wheels and the mudguards was less than an inch and I’ve concluded that the suspension has collapsed. I found just one picture of the boat ‘as delivered’ on the trailer and certainly when new there Is much more clearance. Rather than replace the axle I’ve bought another trailer. I’m going to look at selling the original trailer as is. There might be spare parts available if the new owner is going to replace the axle. However as it too has sat for years unused I imagine they are in a similar state to yours. Here are some photos showing the condition

https://flickr.com/photos/102739822@N02 ... 0164709471
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat