New Recruit !

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

New Recruit !

Postby Rory McCarthy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks for letting me sign up. I have enjoyed browsing through some of the posts.

I've been cautiously looking for a yacht for the last couple of years. I have come close a couple of times but I always manage to talk myself out of it. I guess what is putting me off (other than the money) is the added responsibilities and hassle vs the amount of use you can get. Having one moored in the med means you potentially have more sailing days but having been brought up on the Irish Sea, I find med sailing a bit boring.

I think I should get to the point! My latest thought is to possibly get my sailing fix from a trailer sailer, a CC19 to be exact. See how that goes and whether I wiĺl still yearn after a yacht. The slight flaw in the plan is I might be spreading myself a bit too thin financially by blowing a good proportion of my yacht budget on a CC19. My intention would be to maybe get a less expensive older hull.

Is any of this making sense?

If anyone has any polite or even impolite suggestions I would welcome the feedback.

Many thanks
Rory
Rory McCarthy
Non Association Member

Re: New Recruit !

Postby Nick Martin » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi Rory..
I'm bound to say that you are on the right track with a Cape Cutter! .. I've had mine, Juno, for 13 years and now illness means that I'm reluctantly forced to sell her .. They are without doubt the best trailer-sailers of their type and size .. I did a lot of research before I bought and I've never once regretted my choice - hence keeping her so long .. If I could keep going with her, I would .. Price is difficult, as they are, admittedly, not the cheapest way of getting afloat - but I found the CC to be a proper yacht in disguise .. she definitely thinks she is bigger than her dimensions would suggest .. I've sailed to The Scillies, Ireland, just about the whole West of Scotland and out to St Kilda .. I've been caught out at sea in gales and huge waves and the boat has felt ridiculously safe and comes up smiling every time - and the majority of my sailing has been single-handed .. Get one if you possibly can! ..
You may notice that Juno is for sale from my earlier post .. at the moment she is on Apollo Duck .. its getting late in the season to sell, so I wonder about putting her to bed properly for the winter - but a sensible offer would secure her this year for the right person who will take her on and enjoy her as I have .. I'm based in West Yorkshire if you want to have a look and a chat - even if you don't buy .. my phone No. is 07774880012 ..
Nick Martin..
Nick Martin
Non Association Member

Postby Rory McCarthy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for your reply and for the encouragement. I was wondering how well they perform in heavy seas. While you probably wouldn't set out in heavy seas neither do you want to be worried about it either, so that's good to know. I did see your boat advertised; she looks great. I am away this week but I might give you a call over the weekend if that suited.

Many thanks,
Rory
Rory McCarthy
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 am

Hello Rory, and welcome! I would echo previous comments. My own experience is coming from dinghy sailing. We live in the midlands, so are far from the sea. A trailer sailer offers several key advantages to my mind firstly, as you mention that you may not sail as much as you would wish, a trailer sailer ashore is not being degraded by the sea and requires little maintenance. Secondly and more importantly, it is easily moved long distances in order to experience new sailing areas. I invite you to have a look at my blog for some examples (travellingaurora.wordpress.com). Now is a good tome to buy, with several second hand boats on the market, a new and enthusiastic builder available for repairs as well as new boats and an active class association. This forum offers lots of advice, and we also have an annual rally The CC is a sturdy, competent, attractive and most of all, good value boat.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi,

Just to echo the comments about trailer sailing and minimal maintenance, our CC has been sailed depressingly little over the 10 years of life mostly spent under a cover on our drive. We still get comments about how good she looks and have to sheepishly admit her age! That is with minimal maintenance. It is an excellent way to be able to get out sailing when you can for a few days/a week but without all the usual overheads of maintenance, and as has been said you can easily take it to many different sailing grounds.
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Peter Howe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi Rory,
I just spotted the string of messages re your hankering for a CC10. Are you still in the market? I need to sell my CC19 and am looking for around £14,000 with trailer and electric O/B. Any interest? She is N0 29, currently moored on the Broads.
Peter Howe
Peter Howe
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat