Mast up cover.

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Mast up cover.

Postby Gary Oldfield » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Iv a mast down cover, has anyone had experience of converting to a mast up cover ? Also has anyone got a furler they want rid of ? All advice greatly recieved
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Re: Mast up cover.

Postby Dennis Williams » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:41 pm

Hi Gary,
Heather, the prettier half, has been battling with canvas sewing a mast up cover.
Last year we produced one out of plastic tarps and gaffer tape to get a rough shape and surprisingly it lasted for the season!
The only difference to an up cover and down cover is how to get the mast through the dang thing. If you wander through a dinghy sailing club you will see the options and get a good idea what is needed.
We favor a velcrowed slot from the mast down to one of the stays and then to the edge. The advantage is that there is no opening down the foredeck. Disadvantage is that the cover needs to be shuffled around the mast.
Alternatively, lace a slot from the mast down to the forestay.
At the aft end, we favor dropping the boom onto the transom (with or without sail attached). This reduces windage to that of leaving the boom in a crutch. Keep it as tight as possible at the back to prevent puddles forming.
Imagination is needed to solve the problem of haliards and lazy jacks. I have 3d printed some 'thingies' to hold these away from mast and rigging.....yet to be proven so will have to report back.
Spring about to sprung down under and looking forward to getting afloat again.
Having written this I see I have assumed that you keep your Cape Cutter ashore.
Happy sailing
Dennis 2
Dennis Williams
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat