First sail of IRIS CC19 sail nos 113

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

First sail of IRIS CC19 sail nos 113

Postby Nick Mair » Mon May 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi All,

Yesterday wife Jackie, son Ian and fiance Emily and I wet the baby's head and ventured out in Iris for the first time and had a smashing time!

We are berthed on a pontoon at Davis's Boatyard Poole Harbour, up beyond the bridges.

Good strong wind and I was amazed at how quick she was just on the genoa.

Iris is a most pleasing blend of dinghy and yacht; a really nice experience.

We live in Cambridge so not available to play every weekend but we are really looking forward to the forthcoming season.

Bye

Nick

Nick & Jackie Mair
Nick Mair
CC19 Association Member

Re: First sail of IRIS CC19 sail nos 113

Postby erbster » Tue May 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Sounds like a great start. I agree with your comment about the combination of dinghy and yacht!
We were due to sail this weekend, but did not in the end due to the forecast- Aurora has not been in the water yet this season and its May now! We'll have to make up for it later in the season...
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi Nick. I often sail in Poole Harbour so I'll look out for you. Mine's Sapphire no. 125. I think same colours as Iris. Are you sure you don't fancy joining us in Chichester at the end of May. I'm planning to sail down on the Thursday / Friday before and back the following weekend..
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Mike Quillinan » Sun May 22, 2016 7:27 am

Hi Nick,

Like you, I am a new member of the CC19 family. I am living in Holland and I have started sailing mine (sail no. 117) on the Kagerplassen lake near my home and I have had some wonderful days sailing so far. I trailed her here behind my car from Plymouth and she is a very well behaved lady both on the road and on the water.

I wish you lots of sailing pleasure and I enjoyed reading your post on your first outing.

Is it advisable to sail on genoa only? I seem to remember reading, either in the owners manual or on the builders website than it is better not to, due I believe to the absence of a backstay. Perhaps worth double-checking and maybe more experienced CC19 members could comment.

Very best regards

Mike Quillinan
Mike Quillinan
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun May 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Mike Quillinan wrote:
Is it advisable to sail on genoa only? I seem to remember reading, either in the owners manual or on the builders website than it is better not to, due I believe to the absence of a backstay. Perhaps worth double-checking and maybe more experienced CC19 members could comment.

Hello gentlemen

The advisability of using the genoa by itself has been raised before. I seem to remember that the results were inconclusive.

If you want a backstay in those conditions simple disconnect the peak halyard from the the gaff bridle and tie it to the aft windward cleat and tension it with the winch. Voila!
If the halyard is not long enough have a spare bit of 6-8 mm rope handy to lengthen it. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 am

Good luck to all the new CC19 owners and we wish you many years happy sailing. We are now in our 11th season sailing Kaliope (67) in the Aegean sea. I know Honnor Marine advised not to sail on genoa alone for the reasons stated, but as ever, Dennis has a simple and logical answer. I persevered with the genoa for many seasons but became frustrated when the genoa could become overpowered close hauled in a f4 and then underpowered when relying on main and jib only. The solution was to invest in a yankee. What a great versatile sail. Happy in f5 and when it's time to put it away you will be flying along on jib and reefed main... Looking forward to meeting Dennis and other owners at Chichester next week. We are flying from Greece especially and without our boat. There will be plenty of sailing / safety boat opportunities so I encourage anyone who cannot attend with a boat to come along some time..

Cheers

Chris and Kathryn
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to General Chat