Tenders

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Tenders

Postby Andy Yates » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:42 pm

Any recommendations for an inflatable tender suited for a CC ?

:D

Andy
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Re: Tenders

Postby ColinMcD » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Hello Andy -

I've just spotted your question, and while I wouldn't presume that our arrangement with Foxglove will suit everyone, we are very very happy with our Chinese-made 9' inflatable - a very standard, mass-produced thing which I am sure is as available in the UK as it is in Norway where I bought it - which we always tow behind us wherever we go on the Argyll coast and, so far, the waters encompassing Oban, Islay, Mull, Colonsay etc..

I've just had a very quick browse: the "Waveline" 2.9m model on the Force4 website seems to correspond to what we have (it looks absolutely identical, but is branded differently to ours).

One recommendation: a solid floor is a must. Avoid slatted floors or anything which has a soft bottom!

I've yet to find myself in the sort of conditions where our towed inflatable has been in any way an encumbrance or a liability, and though I'm sure it doesn't help our speed through the water, I can honestly say that it's not something that bothers me or indeed that I am at all conscious of. I think I would be hard-pressed to demonstrate/measure any reduction in speed: it's certainly not perceived and I can't be bothered!

What we gain is convenience, independence and flexibility wherever we go: every landfall, every beach, every cove, every anchorage, is infinitely more accessible and fun with an inflatable. And I think we made a lucky guess at buying a 9' version: big enough to be really usefull; small enough not to be an encumbrance.

Couldn't imagine our month in the Hebrides without out little inflatable behind! (Christened, ex-officio, "Digitalis")

Best regards -
Colin McDougall
FOXGLOVE 56
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis Williams » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:19 am

Tenders, the bane of a 'yachties' life. Too small or large, too heavy, always too expensive...
..it comes down to what works for you and how you sail.
Personally, I hate towing a dinghy especially offshore; they take on a life of their own and are determined to make you look an idiot! Towings ok for convenience in sheltered waters but still need to keep a close eye on the little buggers! I agree with Colin that a firm floor is a definite requirement but sectional ply or aluminium are awkward to stow. High pressure floors are ok but some folk don't like them..maybe not pumped up hard enough?
The dinghy that came with Tiptoe was a Aquapro, which was light and rolled up reasonabley compact but had a slatted floor and was terrible to row due to the seat being too small, also the tubes were on the small size and scooted away when stepped into. We have just changed to a Takacat 240 sport (NZ designed but made in China..like most) and quite like it. It's unusual in not having a solid transom, in fact no real transom at all, just a couple of bars to attach an outboard if required but even these could be left out. The floor is a thick high pressure job which Heather takes paddle boarding. The tubes are huge and you can stand on the side without being flipped. Most important to us is that it rows so brilliantly even against a gale of wind and doesn't need bailing. It's not perfect..I was assured I wouldn't get wet feet when stepping in via the transom..wrong..but the water does drain into the bilges then out the back. A waterproof bag for the shopping will be required.
Still difficult to store away aboard like most. For cruising we roll it up and stow it on the seat in the cockpit but this probably wouldn't work for more than three people.
I guess I should say that I have absolutely nothing to do with the company and have hated inflatable dinghies for the past forty years. Personally I prefer a good solid dinghy but they just don't work when cruising a small trailer sailer.
Your summers on its way so have a great sailing year. Me? Now where's that varnish brush.

Dennis and Heather
Tiptoe
Dennis Williams
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:56 am

In contrast to the foregoing, I use a very small slatted floor tender (Bombard AX1). It is a very limited tender, but seems the best compromise for a 19' trailer sailer. Packed, it is I believe, the smallest packed size of any tender. It is barely suitable for two adults, but what we tend to do, for example is drop all crew except skipper ashore and use the tender for skipper (IE me) to row ashore. It is hard to row (no seat), so I (I'm 6'4") ten to sit on the transom. All boats are a compromise and which tender one chooses depends on how one intends to use it.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat