Shrimper 21

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Shrimper 21

Postby Ian Senior » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:21 pm

Viewed this little boat at Southampton Boat Show. I was very impressed with comfortable sitting headroom and seating position so didn't feel l was in a squat position like the CC19. Finish in cabin was attractive with wide berths. Ideal for a six foot plus individual like me. Nice plumb bow and large cockpit. Found my dream ship at last. Sorry Cape Cutters but I'll be jumping ship. Happy sailing.
Ian Senior
Non Association Member

Re: Shrimper 21

Postby erbster » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Every boat is a compromise.
The shrimper 21 is attractive, having more space in cockpit and cabin, but it's not going to be nearly as easy to tow.
It's listed as a 2000kg towing weight, which is out of the reach of many cars which comfortably tow the CC. Additionally, in my experience, the towing weight ends up much higher due to all the kit which lives in the boat (unless it is emptied every time it's towed). I guess it is intended more for occasional towing than regular trailer sailing. It's also expensive at only a shade under £40k for a basic spec with trailer (the outboard would be on top of that).
Shame they did not make it a cutter rig.

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun :)
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Timbre 19 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:30 am

Hello Ian Senior and congratulations on your choice of boat.

But with cutter rig these type of boats gets more more ship like in my opinion.
And even easier to adapt the sail area under different wind conditions.

I wish you all the best with your beautiful boat / Jörgen
Last edited by Timbre 19 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 am

Hello Ian

Boat ownership is always a compromise, it is just a case of finding the "best fit" compromise to suit your own circumstances.

It was fairly obvious to me when we met at the 2015 CCW that the CC19 was never going to be the best fit for you. You obviously needed a bigger boat for comfort. I hope you have found that boat in the Shrimper 21.

There is a lot to like in the Shrimper 21, good looks, gaffer, improved cabin/cockpit space compared with a CC19 or Shrimper 19. The replacement of the compression post with a deck beam certainly helps with the space problem, my Winkle Brig used the same arrangement, the amount of usable space in that boat was unbelievable for it's size.

Inevitably the larger boat also introduces other problems the most obvious is the increased difficulty in launching/retrieval and on road towing. If you are going to keep the boat on a mooring, probably not a problem at all. If you intend to trailer-sail, it will give you an excuse to buy a large 4x4. I recommend a Land Rover Discovery 3 or 4, 2500+ Kg kerbweight and a towing limit of 3500 Kg, all great fun but expensive.

The Shrimper 21 could certainly be improved by making it a cutter, I do not know why Cornish Crabbers did not do that. Also, if you raise the bowsprit, what keeps the mast up? there is no permanent forestay. Or am I missing something here.

Keep us informed on how you get on, I would like to see a Shrimper 21 at one of our future ralleys. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Good points, Dennis.
I would echo the invitation to join us again on our gathering next year.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat