Association Burgees

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Association Burgees

Postby Greybeard » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 pm

A little while ago, Dennis mentioned the potential for an Association burgee. I think that's an excellent idea.
I've just had a 1yd sewn ensign made by

http://easyflags.co.uk/shop/

The quality is superb and the price was excellent. They would be prepared to give us a price for a printed burgee using the Association logo. They do burgees in a 3:2 ratio, so a 1ft tall one would be 18 inches long. They'd need a copy of the artwork to assess the type of printing needed of course. Are we able to use that without infringing any copyright issues? Would we need to approach Bob at HM - having spoken many times with him I can't see him being the type of chap to object or being anything like as precious about it as the owners of a certain trade-name referring to the other type of boat Bob builds so well :rolleyes:
I'd imagine we'd probably have to stick to one colour - say dark blue, like the usual hull colour (sorry Dennis ;) ) with white printing, unless alternatives are possible.
A rectangular burgee would also allow for the Association name including which would advertise the actual type of boat to those who don't recognise them. I'll have to ask whether printing on both sides is possible without the shadow being obvious from the far side as it were. I don't think it would be a problem with a dark coloured fabric.
As there's be an initial outlay, I'd suggest perhaps making them available to members only for the time being as it might be easier to gauge possible demand.
Any opinions? What sort of price would be acceptable do you think? What size? And how many as an order 25, 35, 50? They'd be provided on an at cost basis to the members anyway.

Steve

PS - Dennis, if you want to, please open this discussion up to the member's section
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:11 pm

Hello Steve

I think the membership is currently hibernating judging by the lack of posts recently. Hopefully they will soon awake from their slumbers and form a (long) queue for your proposed Association Burgee.:rolleyes:

I am certainly interested, only comment is that 12" x 18" seems a bit large compared with my Kielder Yacht Club and Trail-sail Association pennons.

I agree we need to talk to Bob Brown re any copyright issues. I will raise the matter with him as I intend to speak to him next week anyway.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Great idea

Postby Black Sheep » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi Steve and Dennis,

I would like to strongly support the association burgee idea. With respect to the size, 8" x 12" would probably more compatible with the current size of my club burgee. In my experience affordable and light-weight burgees are printed one-sided so the other side is simply the mirror image ( for me that would be no problem).

Cheers,
Michel
Black Sheep
Black Sheep
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:46 pm

I shall await results of contact with Bob - and a show of further interest then.
Perhaps 12x18 is a bit large :o - I'll get a price for a smaller version as Michel suggests. At a smaller size we could probably drop the lettering as it would be too small to read way up there near the masthead.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Greybeard wrote: Are we able to use that without infringing any copyright issues? Would we need to approach Bob at HM - having spoken many times with him I can't see him being the type of chap to object or being anything like as precious about it as the owners of a certain trade-name referring to the other type of boat Bob builds so well :rolleyes:

Hello Steve

I have spoken to Bob today.

As you suspected, there are no problems as far as Bob is concerned with copyright for the logo. He is happy for us to use it. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Good news. :) Next thing is does anyone out there have a copy of it as a vector diagram? Apparently that's best for using to make the print :confused:

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Put me down for one ...

Postby ColinMcD » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi Steve - if and when you get to the stage when you are assessing numbers for who will have a burgee, then please do include us.
Regards -
Colin and Randi McDougall
Foxglove
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Will do Colin/Randi.
I'm thinking along the lines of an initial batch of perhaps 20-25 to see how we go, but I'll await further interest.
I'm going to have a word with eldest daughter and see if her b/f can assist with the graphics file.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Greybeard wrote:Will do Colin/Randi.
I'm going to have a word with eldest daughter and see if her b/f can assist with the graphics file.

It might be worth ringing Bob, he must have the graphic somewhere so that he can supply the sail manufacturers.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 pm

I've been playing about with designs and doing what I can with photoshop - any comments/opinions so far?

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to General Chat