Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

First launch.

Postby ianrmaciver » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Launched Minnie on 20th August at Suffolk Marina, Levington. Mast raising not too strenuous thanks to the Dennis system...thanks Dennis....but still want an aluminium / carbon fibre one!
Ramp v. steep / long but v. straightforward using their cable / pulley system.
First sail on 21st in Orwell / Stour with winds from F3 to F6 , being cautious ,
used reefed main plus staysail. Good workout , but shipped quite a bit of water via the outboard well when we hit chop. Any ideas re plugging / covering the opening , whilst allowing cockpit drainage?
Saw another Cape cutter on the way back in , white sails , didn't get the number....just a brief wave , as I was lowering the main.
Next trip was SYH to Brightlingsea on the 28th , returning on the 29th. Wind F0 to F6....sea breeze related. Ran with the tide each way...East Coast necessity...with sog up to 6kts. 25 miles , approx. 6 hours.
Full main plus genoa.....well over canvassed for me at F6. Some problems with the furling system , but re rigged on return and should be better next time.
Much enthused by the sailing and planning a few mods. plus longer trips.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Northumberland Riviera - Suggestions from the Aegean..

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 am

Of course this is with tongue in cheek, but here we are acclimatised to sailing when it is hot. Here are some of the things that help us when it's hot... a good sea breeze helps as does making a passage where the sail provides some shade from the sun for some of the time. Then we have fun towing my old windsurfer behind Kaliope. Last week we were out in f 4 to 5 off Platanias our home harbour. Whilst we often see speed boats off Skiathos towing parasailers and doughnuts, we have come up with an eco version.. Towing the surfboard with passenger with full sail in f4 works very well and was greatly enjoyed. When the wind dies off the Kaliope challenge consists of towing a fender on a long line and various crew members jump in and catch the line and are towed along. Meanwhile in the Aegean with water temps in the mid 20's if we sail at speed with a full crew we can enjoy the wonderful Cape Cutter foot bath in the cockpit.... Keep Cool and I imagine the rules and regs on Keilder prevent this sort of activity but out here it is a lot of fun...:eek:
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby x-man12345 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Lovely day out.
5 hours of sailing in the Carrick roads. Full main/1st reef, yankee and staysail.
Came back to meet the working boats on their way out.:confused:
Last sail of the year, Ladybird comes out this week:(
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Kielder Sailing

Postby Dennis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:46 pm

First outing this month, due to the wrong combination of circumstances (availability and weather).

Good sail today though, light winds, generally F1 gusting(?) to F2 and the occasional periods of total calm.

For a change Kielder Water did not feel like my personal boating lake, I counted 48 boats racing and at least 16 yachts from the "cruising" club on the water. It is good to see so much activity. No doubt people are realising the season is nearly over and are making the most of it.

Full mainsail, staysail and yankee all day. 17.2 Nm covered at an average of 2.8 kts (what do you expect with so little wind), and a max of 5.3 kts.

I am hoping for a couple of more outings before I have to haul out.:)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:25 pm

[quote
I am hoping for a couple of more outings before I have to haul out.:)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dennis,

Why do you have to haul out? Does the Keilder Dam freeze over in winter? One of my sailing advisers thinks I'm mad for hauling my boats out every year and taking everything home! I left Whistling Rufus in until January this year but hardly ever sailed it after October so due to force of habit I expect I will haul it out the same this year.

PS Have you ever thought of bringing your boat down to the East Coast for a while? You could cruise from Marina to Marina in attractive and relatively sheltered water to satisfy your Crew!:)

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:06 pm

David Peck wrote:[I][quote

Why do you have to haul out? Does the Keilder Dam freeze over in winter? :)

Hello David

No I do not HAVE to haul out, but the conditions that Northumbrian Water Ltd (NWL) apply to boat left on moorings over the winter are so onerous that it is not worth it.

The problem is with boats breaking away from their mooring buoys in stormy conditions and ending up crashing into the dam. It has happened a few times in the past few years. Even though all boats have to be attached to their mooring buoy with two lines, the main one being rope (protected from chafing by being enclosed in flexible plastic tubing) and the secondary line being all chain.

Consequently, any boats left on moorings between 31st October and 1st April have to be checked (boarded) at least every two weeks and a register signed. NWL tried to insist on GPS tracking to prove that boats were being checked but Kielder Yacht Club managed to negotiate away from that.

As a result only six boats were left on the water last year (out of a total of approx 80).

The other problem is with my insurer who insists that the boat is kept out of the water from 1st November until 1st March unless it is in use or in a marina. Although, I could always change insurer if I wished.

I would love to bring Mary Ann down to the East Coast, can you guarantee the weather? ;)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Aegean sailing Summer 2013

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 am

We were out last Saturday and will be again this afternoon from Platanias. The summer wind patterns are starting to change to autumnal ones, so inb another week I will move to Pagasitic gulf before hauling out in October. Kaliope could stay afloat all winter there and my insurer (Blue Fin) allows it, but six months of sailing in warm waters as much as we like is enough. There's winter work to do.. Here is a link to a photo album that anyone can view. Sailing with Kaliope and friends this summer... It may look commercial, but it is not, it's just for fun! The biggest 'payment' received is a cold pint of 'Mythos' afterwards!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.619550461429218.1073741825.169017669815835&type=1&l=dfd74b3442
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Kielder sailing

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Out yesterday.

With crew for a change, Roger my sailing mentor.

Blowing a good F4 most of the time. Flying along with staysail and single reefed mainsail.

Wind dropped in the afternoon so added yankee to the rig.

Flew past CC19 Bernicia, Frank was tootling along with the family (including dog) in the cockpit, running under yankee only. We were doing 5+ kts on a broad reach with yankee, staysail and single reefed mainsail. :D

16 Nm covered with a max of 6.3 kts.

How many more sails this season? :(
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Kielder Sailing

Postby Dennis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:18 am

Yesterday actually.

Cousin from Oz staying with us, so took her husband out for a spin. First time he had ever sailed, he was well impressed. So was I actually, he took to it like a duck to water.

Good sailing conditions, F1-3 easterly, quite steady with only small gusts, very unusual for Kielder. Sunny all day.

15 Nm covered with a max of 6 kts.

A bonus sail. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Kielder sailing

Postby Dennis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:32 am

Yesterday actually.

Trying to get on the water whenever I can, before haul out at the end of this month. Hence setting out in less than ideal sailing conditions.

Yesterday, frequent (heavy) showers with intermittent sunshine, periods of drizzle and very dark cloud. Wind never got above F1.

Still, I enjoyed it. Had most of the lake to myself. There were a handful of dinghy sailors (racing?) in near flat calm conditions, being interloped by Frank Stewart in his CC19 "Bernicia". That was all happening near the dam, I had the rest of the lake to myself.

Spent quite some time huddled under the sprayhood keeping dry while the tiller pilot did the work.

Only 11.7 Nm covered in the (almost) windless conditions. But it is good to be on the water.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat