Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Weymouth - Poole

Postby Paul Turner » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Have been doing mostly day sails this year around Weymouth Bay but on Monday did 64 mile round trip from Weymouth to Poole Harbour with overnight on anchor in South Deep. Perfect winds; westerlies on the way there and easterlies on the way back. Maximum F4 with flat sea - perfect. Averaged nearly 6 knots with maximum speed of 8.2 knots.

Hoping to do Solent next week and hopefully week after as well before taking boat out of water at end of September.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Dennis » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:31 am

Excellent Paul.

It is good to hear that Sapphire is getting her legs stretched, so to speak.

That sounds like a super trip to Poole. How about producing a (travel)log and I will post it on the association website. :o

Would you object if I included it as a news item? Some photos would be good as well.

Keep us posted. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Kielder

Postby Dennis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Had a gentle sail on Kielder water yesterday.

Wind generally F1 but totally becalmed for one hour. Nice and warm in the sunshine though. A bonus at this time of year.

Only 13 Nm covered because of the lack of wind. :(

I have to take the boat off the water at the end of this month, but I am hoping to get another couple of days sailing before that.

Nearly the end of my sixth season with Mary Ann, still grinning. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Off to Bob's

Postby Adrian Langford » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:23 pm

We had a lovely last sail on Monday at Kielder, quite windy, followed by a pleasant tow home. Tuesday we spent the day taking all the bits and pieces off, and now we're at a Premier Inn near Honnor Marine, taking 'Meisje' back to Bob's tomorrow morning for a bit of TLC.

It's been a fabulous first season with her, especially the trip to Friesland.

All the best, Adrian and Roger Langford. CC19 'Meisje'
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Well, that's my first season with Falcon over and I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I had a very pleasant day out sailing in company with Dennis and Mary Ann on Kielder Water yesterday. It was unseasonably warm and a complete contrast to the forecast. The winds were light but enjoyable all the same. We sat yarning over a mug of tea in a secluded bay for perhaps just a little too long. By the time we headed back to our respective clubs the wind had died right away and what little there was, was right on the nose. As the light began to fade we both sparked up the iron topsails to get back before it got too dark to pack away.
I took Falcon out of the water last night and not long afterwards a real blow kicked up. it would have been a lumpy old night moored to the jetty.
A four hour, 175 mile drive saw Falcon safely back on the driveway and looking forward to another winter of tweaking and polishing.
Thanks for your company yesterday, Dennis. I'm sure we'll be sailing again before too long.

We even got a rainbow as a farewell gift from Kielder

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

The excitement is mounting!

Postby Dennis » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Hello all

It is that time of year again, Mary Ann has been recovered from her winter slumbers in a nice dry barn, and now sits on my driveway. :)

The mast and spars have been given a coat of varnish where necessary, no other work has been necessary. If I am honest the whole boat could do with a good clean and polish on the outside at least, If I am in the mood I will do that when I take her out of the water for the Orwell jaunt. :rolleyes:

I hope to launch her and put her on her mooring on Kielder Water this week. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: Have you been out today?

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Sapphire is also out of the 'boat house' and I'm in the process of trying to remember where all the bits go. I'm sailing in the Med for two weeks at the beginning of April (delivery trip from Croatia to Marseille) so won't be launching Sapphire until late April / early May. Will give me a chance to make some of the improvements you and others have made e.g. topping lift / lazy lines.

Isn't Kielder still frozen over at this time of year?
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 am

Paul Turner wrote:

Isn't Kielder still frozen over at this time of year?

Hello Paul

Kielder has "special" water, it is "freezing" all year round, but it never actually goes solid :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, Mary Ann is now alfoat (launched yesterday) and looking forward to her seventh season of Kielder based fun. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:50 pm

As I don't yet have an annual berth I may move around a bit at least in the early part of this season. As a start, I've booked two weeks from 1st May in Ridge Marina which is in Poole Harbour 3 miles up the narrow and shallow Wareham channel. It will be a chance to really explore Poole Harbour and the Solent is only a few hours further East once I get to the harbour entrance. Hope you enjoy your first sails of the season.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Kielder 2015

Postby Dennis » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Hello all

I finally managed to get sailing yesterday for the first time this year, even though the boat has been afloat since 19th March.

A brilliant day, I hope the rest of the season is as good. :D

Started with a cloudless sky, and stayed that way all day, very unusual for Kielder (they don't normally build reservoirs in deserts).

A mere hint of a breeze at first, but gradually built during the day to a steady f3 westerly.
Full mainsail staysail and yankee used all of the time, 18 Nm travelled.

I was not the only CC19 on the water, Frank Stewart was out with Bernicia, taking part in Kielder Sailing Club race.
Here is a photo, note the good sail shape. Well done Frank. :)

P4050554 cropped small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat