Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Postby erbster » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Yesterday a day sail to Helford in convoy with Zephyr, followed by a barbecue on the beach at Durgan. Much fun with tender traffic between boat and shore. Slept with three kids at anchor in Ponsence cove and then picked up two further crew for a mooch up to Tremayne Quay at low tide and sail back to Durgan to drop off kids and bring in adult crew, followed by fabulous blast from Helford to St Mawes and then into Falmouth to collect kids and non-participants for home made pasties aboard. Waved to Zephyr as she sailed for Mylor and then trickled up towards Penryn to find a quiet place to drop anchor. Fabulous couple of days aboard.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:39 pm

One of the best days for sailing I can remember. Went from Mylor out into Falmouth bay for a blast with Richard, owner of CC19 #50 "Nettie". Blue sky, F3 to 4 - absolutely superb. Richard helmed Zephyr. Then we tied up alongside Nettie on her mooring as Richard needed to measure the depth at LW Springs for his mooring officer. After dropping Richard at Mylor I went and did it all again, alone, but not the depth bit. Brilliant day; champagne sailing.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Another fantastic summers day on Kielder Water.

Sailed the lake end to end twice. 20.5 Nm.

Started with full mainsail, staysail and yankee with a F2 south westerly, ended the day with single reefed mainsail and staysail only (and the sprayhood up) with F3-5 westerly.

A lovely broad reach with 6.2 kts sustained for about 1 Nm. :D

Probably the last outing for a few weeks due to holiday commitments :(
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Just back after a full day. Started out with a motor from Mylor to Restronguet for a coffee at the Pandora Inn. Then we motored close in shore gawping at the properties. Then we sailed to St Just and anchored for a few hours just off the beach. Then sailed back to Mylor and took part in the Shrimpers and Gaffers class of the Friday evening Mylor Yacht Club series. Finished 2nd and beat the two favourites to line honours - but I was fourth on handicap.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Currently at anchor just off Ponsense Cove in the Helford River. Slow start today, leaving Mylor after lunch and sailing to Molunan beach to meet up with Erbster and Aurora. Then took at glorious evening sail over the bay to Helford. Stunning sunset. However, it's now raining, and we're expecting F5 and 6 for the next few days.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:53 pm

It was a bit rolly this morning, so I motored beyond Helford quite a way, then came back and anchored just west of Frenchman's Creek entrance. Very quiet; just me and some wildlife. There are others anchored, but a couple of hundred metres away. A calm anchorage considering the wind in the trees on the opposite (N) side of the river.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Been out on the Orwell today. Sporty weather, gusts up to 30mph. Had staysail and one reef in the main although with hindsight I should have put two reefs in. That being said we were able to manage the gusts by easing the mainsheets (nearly all the way out in some cases).
Having scorched our way down to Felixstowe we retreated back up the river and dropped the hook just down stream of Pin Mill.
The more I sail this boat the more I love it!
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Good weekend's sailing out on the Irish Sea from Whitehaven. Saturday went round to St Bees in a nice F4. Sunday went north for a look at the Robin Rigg windfarm from close up but the forecast (and then wind/wave) changed to F6 whilst we were out so coming back was a little lively and motory into the weather :-( Tystie coped fine but the crew not quite so happy.
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Managed to find a gap in the showers to make a high speed 6 mile passage from Helford to Falmouth. Two reefs in the main, staysail and yankee, about 18kts + of breeze on the port quarter. Up to 7kts surfing the waves. Zephyr behaves very well with this arrangement.

Now in Port Pendennis marina with Aurora and gang. And it's been sunny and warm all afternoon.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:32 am

Strong winds on Sunday prevented us from getting out of the Fal estuary, so we had a spirited run up the Fal and then motored all the way up to Truro. Walking tour of city and lovely meal at the Katmandu Palace. Peaceful night, followed by a motor back downstream to Famouth.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat