Have you been out today?

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Re: Have you been out today?

Postby Greybeard » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:32 pm

That looks like a job for a dozen strong club members and a few inflatable rollers, Dennis, assuming the hull has remained intact of course :eek:

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andy Yates » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:34 pm

Well we finally got Our Audrey launched and in the water at Newby Bridge. Not too bad getting it rigged. Gaff lacing and gaff bridal need adjusting. Laced the gaff but might change to individual hanks and the bridal needs tightening as I didn't get it right 1st time. The 2nd reef line and the stay sail sheet is are short which is a pain but I have spares so it's not going to spoil my sailing. Both are solid blue so I think Bob may have measured them wrong
Any way I'll sort it with him next week. I've had to do the quick release mod on the Bowsprit as our berth is at 90 degrees to the flow of the river and impossible to get in with it down and not easy with it up. We have had a good practice session this afternoon and have got a system in place. Don't think I could manage single handed though so I'd better be kind to the crew..
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Chichester Rally

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Easy journey back from Chichester on Saturday, 390 miles in 8 hours 30 mins including two stops for lunch and tea. The CC19 on the Honnor Marine trailer really does tow very well. :)

I will eventually put an album on the photo gallery to which all the participants can add their own photos.

The dead run to the IOW with a F5/6 dead astern was memorable, I will never forget it. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Adrian Langford » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:37 am

The photos are marvellous, great to see them.

My Dad and I are heading to Mylor for 11 days or so this coming weekend. We plan to cruise the nearby rivers & harbours. We've got our trusty Avon inflatable with us and I thought of bringing a 2 horse outboard to push it along, stowed on the port side of the transom. My question for those of you who've been there, is whether the distances to row are typically long enough to make an outboard worthwhile.

Cheers,

Adrian & Roger, 'Meisje'
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello Adrian

There is local knowledge on this forum. Both Richard Rickard and Ru88ell have their boats based at Mylor Harbour, although Ru88ell's is now a Crabber :eek: . It might be worth sending them an email in case they do not see your request.

I am envious :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Richard Rickard » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Adrian,
Dennis has beaten me to it! I do indeed live near Mylor, and keep my CC19 (Nettie) on a mooring off Restronguet SC down at Mylor Yacht Harbour. Unfortunately we will be away during your visit, as we are leaving on Thursday for a family holiday in Norfolk, returning on Sun 17th, so not able to offer any direct assistance. However, Russell Eden should be here next weekend as he is setting off on a cruise upcountry on his Cornish Yawl (Lucy), and his parents will also be here staying in our cottage.

To answer your specific query, I would recommend bringing your outboard. A number of the visitors moorings in Falmouth, St Mawes and the Helford are some way out - fine if the weather is kind, but if there is a bit of tide or wind you may appreciate some mechanical help. Also you will be able to go deep up the Fal River to the pontoons beyond Tolverne then use your dinghy to explore the headwaters as far as you dare, and the tide allows.

If you have any more questions I would be very happy to help - either here or direct to rrickard@btinternet.com.
Best wishes,
Richard
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Postby Adrian Langford » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:17 pm

We're on our way back after a superb trip. We visited Mylor, St Mawes, the Percuil river, St Just, Restronguet, Little Molunan, Malpas & Falmouth. We had quite a bit of rain the first day or two, then the weather improved and we nearly ran out of suntan lotion! A high point was walking to church at St Just from the boat - across the mud.

We did a mixture of anchoring, tying up to free-floating pontoons and visiting marinas, though of course, caught no fish at all.

Thanks to Russell for his suggestions as to where to visit. The tender with engine was a very good idea.

The long journey from Northumberland had been well worth it. Who knows where we'll go next year?

Adrian & Roger Langford
'Meisje' No. 64.
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 am

Three day sail from Weymouth to Lymington and back last week with my son. A bit of a slog as we had Easterlies going and Westerlies coming back! (Used a lot of fuel). Have confirmed what I already knew that Weymouth to the Solent is really too far to do in a day (40 miles +) so really need to stop off somewhere round Poole. That's why I still can't decide what should be Sapphire's permanent base. Stayed 2 nights on Lymington Town Quay which is right in the centre of this pretty old town. On way back anchored overnight in Lulworth Cove which was very pleasant. A bonus was seeing another Cape Cutter 19 near Yarmouth on Isle of White - we passed within yards of Tresco (8). For Dennis's Owners List I can confirm she is Blue with Tan sails but not sure where she's based.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:18 am

30th and 31st July on the Orwell.

Having spent most family holidays in the south west, I was unaware of the east coast rivers, and it is a delight to discover them. Rondo (sail 123)?lives on her trailer wherever I can find storage, and has been in a farmyard in Essex for the last few weeks. As nearby sailing waters, I reconnoitred the Deben, Orwell and Stour and the Walton backwaters and their respective slips and moorings before choosing Woolverstone marina to launch and sail on strong recommendation of a locally based sailor. He was right. At all stages of the tide there is much more room to enjoy Rondo on the Orwell than on the Deben or the Stour, let alone the backwaters.

29NM on 31st July, down and up the Orwell twice. Wind NW f3-4, but 4/5 at confluence of Orwell and Stour.

First lap was solo with first reef in main and flying staysail only. I really understood the meaning of weather helm and the need to balance the sails. My crew joined me in the afternoon so we could handle the genoa (sans staysail), again with one reef in the main, and she was perfectly balanced, albeit with gunwale almost in the water where the wind blew strongly out of the mouth of the Stour. The yellow track on my Navionics iPhone app showed how appalling had been my tacking in the morning, but happily how it improved during the day (about my 12th day since first sailing a Cape Cutter)

For information I should mention that launching and recovery at Woolverstone is really only recommended within an hour or so (2 hrs max) of HW. The precarious looking structure on the downstream side of the slip is condemned and inaccessible, so someone needs to wade in and hold the boat while the trailer is driven up to the park, then motor the boat to the mooring. This was definitely a two person job. Recovery was easier, but possible only by motoring straight onto a fairly deeply submerged trailer, jump over the side and throw a bow line to a very helpful passer by who held Rondo's bow close to the winch while I hooked on the winch line. If Woolverstone chooses to replace the old structure with a floating pontoon close to the slip it will make a very pleasant marina even better.
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Dennis Williams » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:22 pm

...gentle trade winds blow us towards the Marquesas. We have have not touched the sails for the last 20 days but soon it will be time to stretch unused muscles and prepare for arrival in a new land...
I awake with a start. The memories of our ocean voyaging drift away and I am brought back to reality by the noise of torrential rain on the shed roof and a rapidly hardening varnish brush.
Yep it's a wet winter down under but fingers crossed, spring is on its way.
Hope you right way up folk are all having a good sailing summer.

Tiptoe.
Dennis Williams
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat