RQ for Documentation Assistance - South Africa Hulls

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

RQ for Documentation Assistance - South Africa Hulls

Postby Norman Sanders » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:35 pm

Greetings. I'm the owner of Hull 35, Sunyata, one of three in North America. Sunyata was built in 2003 by what was then known as Cape Yachts, owned and managed by Nick Voorhoeve with spouse Lindsay Voorhoeve. Cape Yachts of course moved to England when the hulls were in the mid-50's.

My brother and I intend to move Sunyata from Texas, USA, where I am located, to the environs of St. Malo, France. We are assembling a dossier of documentation that will facilitate/enable the importation of the boat to France. One such document is what the French call Declaration écrite de conformité... That is the equivalent of what in the CC19 User Guide (page 14 on the original hard copy, page 28 in the redacted e-version) is called a Statement of Compliance. The compliance is of course compliance with the EU standard CE 0614, which is also referenced on the brass plaque attached to the hull. While we believe that the plaque will provide proof that the boat complies with applicable EU standards - but we'd prefer to strengthen our case with a written version.

The example of the Statement of Compliance contained in the e-version of the manual (page 28) shows a signed Statement of Compliance by RS Brown, who acquired Cape Yachts around 2004-05, dated 15 Jan 2004. I am also attaching a scan of the Front Cover and unsigned Statement of Compliance from my hard copy version from Cape Yachts (England).

We hypothesize that any of the S. African-built boats - prior to the move to England - would have a signed (by Nick Voorhoeve) version of the Statement of Compliance - possibly in the hard copy of the User Guide.

Obviously ANY and ALL boat-yard constructed examples of the CC19 will be in compliance with CE - 0614, otherwise they could not have been marketed in Europe no matter the country of construction. So my brother and I are asking if any of you owners of a S.African built CC19 have a signed version of the Statement of Compliance that you could scan and send to us. We don't think we actually need to be that precise, because of the plaque of certification, but we want the documentation to be as persuasive as possible.

Please contact me at norman.sanders@gmail.com if you could/would help us out. Also, if any of you have a current email address for Nick Voorhoeve, who I believe to now be based in Australia, please pass that along and I'll follow up with him, too.

Incidentally, this pursuit took me to the door of none other than Dudley Dix, the designer of our beloved craft, which whom I had a 45 minute-long conversation on Saturday. He told me a tale of the very first hull they had launched in S. Africa. It's a long one, but a great seafaring tale that ended with the CC19 winning over-the-line (!) in its competition with much larger boats that had a 20 minute head start... Dix is now based in the US - I had not realized until I heard his accent that he, too, is originally from South Africa. Talking with him and reliving the days of when he designed this boat for the Voorhoeves was a really memorable experience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Re: RQ for Documentation Assistance - South Africa Hulls

Postby Andrew Scullion » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm

Hello Norman,

I have sent you a copy of mine for Ladybird, Hull Number 31 from 2003.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat